best scope around $2000

Saskcoyote78

Im looking to buy myself a once in a lifetime optic for my coyote rifle. I have about $2000 to spend and want to get the best optic possible. Im thinking maybe a Swarovski, Leica, Nightforce??? What would you guys suggest?

Personally on a hunting rig I think the NF are a bit heavy, but definitely doable. The glass on the Swaro will be hard to beat, but if it were me, where I hunt, I would be looking at a Leupold VX6 and have money to spare. I don't think you are going to go wrong with any brands you listed.

Well I hunt the open prairies of Saskatchewan Canada. It will be going on a Sako A7 22-250, for now. I think max power range Id like is 15x. But Id like to be able to have quick detach rings to mount on a pic rail and move it to my deer/elk rifle during those short seasons.

Cheers!!

Last edited:
Dont know if you'd be interested in a tactical type scope or not, but euro optics is closing out on the steiner 5312. I have no firsthand experience with it but it's got some great reviews. Normal price is usually around 2200 and they are selling it for 1099 right now.

Id probably not spin turrets but I guess its an option that could be used in the future. All I know is that the vast majority of critters Im after never sit still enough to get a range then figure out clicks...they are on the move fast lol.

Cant order anything off Euro Optics..I live in Canada and they wont ship across the border.

Where does lowlight performance sit on your priority list? How about maximum shot distance? Are you running heavy bullets in your 22-250, or a more traditional selection (52-55 grain)?

This is probably one of the best bangs for your buck, that's quite a bit lower than your max price point.

The Bushnell ERS 3.5-21x50

GREAT low end at 3.5x...hard to come up with a coyote hunting situation where 3.5x is too much zoom in big country, and 21x is great when you need to double check if that "thing" is a coyote or a tumble weed.
Ability to dial if you need/want to.
EXCELLENT RETICLE OPTIONS if you want to master hold over.
Phenomenal glass quality and coatings.

Great scope cap offerings by Jon Aadland that "look" like Butler Creek and perform like Tenebraex.

And if you really wanna blow your wad, wait for a deal to show up on the March 3-24x42. Quite a bit smaller and lighter than most of the higher end optics.

Last edited:
Im shooting 55 gr. BT's and max range is about 400 yards. I hunt right till dark so the brighter the better.

Is it safe to assume the Z6 is the best possible glass for $2000?

It really sucks looking through scopes in the shops,,I see no difference between most optics and its not like I can borrow one for a hunt.

Cheers!!

Originally Posted By: Saskcoyote78 I hunt right till dark so the brighter the better.

Brightness is determined mainly by exit pupil.
Glass quality and coatings help, but not a great deal.

Once you reach a certain price point, you don't get much better glass, but you can pay a whole lot more for a little, or in some cases, nothing.

The Z6 has no better glass than the Z3, you are paying BIG bucks for the zoom ratio. In fact, if the higher powered Z6 has more lenses in it, then it should be less bright. Thats "if", I don't know how many lenses each have. Either way, neither scope looks one bit brighter to me than a Leupold VX3.

Everybody is always hung up on "glass". There are a lot of other factors that are more important to me than simply "brightness" when selecting a scope.

Any high dollar scope is going to have more than ample glass for your task. I'd suggest doing a bit of homework and considering some of the other factors/specs..........

I'd you aren't turning turrets I'd stay away from Nightforce nxs. There are better scopes for your application. Might look at zeiss, Leica kahles, Swaro, ior.

As far as the vx3 appearing as "bright" it may be but the resolution is not as good. Compare a vx3 to the botton line zeiss conquest and the resolution on the conquest is noticeably better.

Last edited:
I have compared/owned multiple Conquests. I have no trouble with the quality of the glass itself. It's nice. It is every other thing about them that I don't like. As far as being better than the Leupold, I'll just say that the glass is different. I do not find the glass better. But the image they portray are not quite the same. As for every other factor involved, I'll happily take the Leupold.....

Originally Posted By: Saskcoyote78Im looking to buy myself a once in a lifetime optic for my coyote rifle. I have about $2000 to spend and want to get the best optic possible. Im thinking maybe a Swarovski, Leica, Nightforce??? What would you guys suggest?

Okay, I'll spit out a few I like. First, keep in mind, a simple VX3 and some extra cash would do me fine for yote hunting. The only high dollar scopes I run are on LR tactical/competition rifles.

If I hadda blow more money on a scope for hunting yotes, I have 3 models I can like:

1)Leupold VX6 2-12x42 illuminated CDS

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/...ncludes-metric/

2) Swarovski z6 1.7-10x42. (A Z3 3-10x42 with ballistic turret could also be nice)

3) S&B Summit 2.5-10x40.

Notice all have pretty wide FOV. I'll take that over higher power for hunting yotes. The Leupold offers a lot for the price. And a low profile turret which I can spin freely if needed, and that makes me happy....

One scope for two rifles isn't something I'd even consider.

KISS---You don't need specialty scopes, you need hunting scopes.
Put a 4.5-14 VX3 on the Sako and a 3.5-10 VX3 on the Deer rifle and call it a day.

I have a 6.5-20 VXIII on my .223 and .17 Fireball. The higher power is great for the range, but for hunting I rarely have it above 6.5. If you are hunting in low light you will probably not be able to effectively use the higher magnification without lights. A 3-9x scope is probably all you would ever need for hunting.

Not sure of your situation, but if you hunt a lot and don't have good binoculars I'd say spend $1500 on a nice pair of binoculars and $500 on a scope - plenty of good used stuff around nowadays. Once I started hunting with a nice pair of binoculars I wondered how I went so long without them. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunA scope weighing 35 OUNCES for hunting?

Raise your hand if you're NOT already packing around a little more than 35 extra oz into the field for no reason. Either on your boots, your belt, your pack or your belly.

I love to see people that are 20lbs over weight, worry that their hunting rifle is 2lbs over weight.

This is a coyote hunting rifle, where 99% of shots will be off sticks or a bipod.
It weighs roughly 1lb more than your, Leupold VX6 2-12x42 suggestion.
What's the problem?

Last edited:
Back