best rimfire for coyotes

Originally Posted By: RJM AcresI'm staying out of this. I get beat up every time.

Good idea. You've had a long drive today, seen crazy dead things with curly hair on the road and need to get some sleep.

Goodnight RJM.
lol.gif

Wow ok the 22 mag wins I might just notworrie about the rifle and just carry the 12 ga I have been wanting to shotgun some anyway cuz I have never done it cuz I bought a rem at-15 in the 204 just for coyotes so its hard to leave that gun at home when I go after them !! guess this will give me a good reason to leave it home !!!

I use a .22 mag for a short range calling gun about 80% of the time I hunt. I have lost one dog, but attribute it to a rushed shot and completley blame myself. I personally shoot to 150 yds with my mag without worry, and I use Winchester 45 gr. Dynapoint. I will get all kinds of crap now, but I really don't care, Last week I shot a 43 lb male at about 120 yds +/- and it rolled, got up, took about 3 paces and flopped. Thats better than most centerfires do on whitetail, so I fail to see the problem. If you shoot confidently to 100-150 yds, its plenty of gun.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: RJM AcresI'm staying out of this. I get beat up every time.

Good idea. You've had a long drive today, seen crazy dead things with curly hair on the road and need to get some sleep.

Goodnight RJM.
lol.gif
and dont let the curly things bite

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: RJM AcresI'm staying out of this. I get beat up every time.

Goodnight RJM.
lol.gif

I did just that. Slept pretty good considering I'm in a hotel
next to the interstate.

Smitht144 said he could not use #4 buckshot, however you should look in to lead BB's and #2 shot in 3" 12ga.

I have killed quite a few yotes with a 22 Mag with Winchester 40g HP. My longest shot has been about 125 yards, with a facing bang flop. I use a 4x-12x and place my shot, knowing that a shot behind the diaphram will result in a lost dog.

Bullet choice is of a major consideration in the 22 mag and avoid any poly tip bullets because you will loose animals with super fast expanding bullets. You need a bullet that will penetrate. My Ruger and Mauser 210 would not shoot the Federal 50g.

The 22 Mag 40g Winchester HP will shoot a hole through a coyote's shoulder blade and also break the spine. The Dynapoint is a tough bullet but beware that it is a copper plated lead bullet and will lead the barrel.

5mm Rim fire magnum beats the 22 mag but at a high price tag.

You should reserve judgement till you have hit 5-10 coyotes with a particular type of bullet to see what happens when you hit a rib, shoulder, and quartering angles at various angles...don't be too quick to judge.

Running shots are another whole can of worms.

I have to go on the record and say that NO rimfire should be used for coyote calling period. Use a 12ga. and call'em close. Oh yeah, before you flame away, there are some expert callers like Gerry Blair, who has killed more coyotes than most of us put together, will tell you the very same thing. Now flame away.

Originally Posted By: singlecoilI have to go on the record and say that NO rimfire should be used for coyote calling period. Use a 12ga. and call'em close. Oh yeah, before you flame away, there are some expert callers like Gerry Blair, who has killed more coyotes than most of us put together, will tell you the very same thing. Now flame away.

If Gerry Blair jumped off a cliff, would you?

How about what the OP would enjoy doing. That's what really matters here.

I owned 3 5mm magnums and its not better than the 22 magnum!Ill take the 22 magnum larger bullet everytime, I don't know where you guys come up with the 5mm crap!

Hey, that 50gr. Federal is a good one, I shot them into wet paper at 70yd. and it penetrated 7-1/2" and mushroomed out to .272 weight was 47gr. and they hit hard!!Ive also shot them into a steel gong at 100yds. and they really rocked that thing! Its a very good round.

Originally Posted By: Mike21If Gerry Blair jumped off a cliff, would you?

Depends... Is a rattle snake involved in any way?

This is one of those subjects that you basically have to live and learn yourself. The idea that a rimfire is big enough will keep coming up in your mind and it seems like everyone has tried one or has a hunting partner that has. If I had to guess I'd say 90% that have are against and 10% for. Maybe those 10% are better shots, maybe they're luckier, maybe their coyotes are nancy's, who knows. I say get it out of your system. Buy a fairly inexpensive Marlin or Savage bolt gun, try it and decide for yourself. Pretty much betting you will try it someday anyhow.

But keep in mind. That the magnum rimfires aren't much if any better at 125 yards than a .22lr shooting a Velocitor or the like is a 50 yards or so. Also, if you set your requirements for head shots only, an identical shot with a .22lr will DRT a coyote just as fast as with a magnum. At that point it's about shot placement on a tennis ball size brain not power.

CB

Originally Posted By: Mike21Originally Posted By: singlecoilI have to go on the record and say that NO rimfire should be used for coyote calling period. Use a 12ga. and call'em close. Oh yeah, before you flame away, there are some expert callers like Gerry Blair, who has killed more coyotes than most of us put together, will tell you the very same thing. Now flame away.

If Gerry Blair jumped off a cliff, would you?

How about what the OP would enjoy doing. That's what really matters here.

Depends whats below!
I also have Gerry' book and I'll take his advice any day.

LOL, I'll take Mr. Blairs advice on calling coyotes as he is an expert. If your an expert at jumping off cliffs then I'll tell you to go first!

Originally Posted By: singlecoilLOL, I'll take Mr. Blairs advice on calling coyotes as he is an expert. If your an expert at jumping off cliffs then I'll tell you to go first!

Once again,

The Original Poster asked about rimfires. Not what Garry Blair would do with a shotgun.

MPFD, if a rattle snake is involved, I'd at least think about it anyway.
tongue.gif

If I had to use a rimfire, I would use a 22 mag and call them in as close as I could. Try and keep the shots under about 75 yards. But then again, if the shots are close, why not just use a 12 gauge with # 4 buck shot or the largest shot legal. I just don't think a rimfire is a good choice for coyotes. Just my $0.02.

Back