Best predator shotgun under 1000 bucks

Originally Posted By: nightcaller"25% hit ratio being Leathal!" Sounds like someone is either shooting too far, shooting crap shells, lacking practice or just plain sucks! You need to reevaluate something bud.

What are you getting for patterns percentage wise?

I am a big advocate of scatterguns for most of my wooded area hunts. I have most models (pump, auto, O/U and S/S) but with the 3-1/2" shells you want autos to reduce the recoil to stop flinching and cleaner follow up shots.

The biggest point I can make is pattern it to get the best performance

Originally Posted By: West.Mass.HunterOriginally Posted By: nightcaller"25% hit ratio being Leathal!" Sounds like someone is either shooting too far, shooting crap shells, lacking practice or just plain sucks! You need to reevaluate something bud.

25% of the shot in a 30" circle would not be very good.

But 25% of the shot hitting a coyote would be very good.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobOriginally Posted By: West.Mass.HunterOriginally Posted By: nightcaller"25% hit ratio being Leathal!" Sounds like someone is either shooting too far, shooting crap shells, lacking practice or just plain sucks! You need to reevaluate something bud.

25% of the shot in a 30" circle would not be very good.

But 25% of the shot hitting a coyote would be very good.

I agree and it looks like he edited out the quote from above..wonder why?

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: glazer1972Originally Posted By: ackleymanLook for a used beretta 391 with the kick off system that is a shock absorber in the stock, they really lighten up the recoil on those heavy loads.

My suggestion also.

Do you have one or tried one ?

Tim, I don't know who you are talking to. Yes, I have the 391 with the kick off system, and a wood stock 390 also.

My Vinci is ugly but works like a champ for turkeys and coyotes. I got the 24” barreled version mainly for turkeys, but turns out it works well for predators too. Benelli claims the Vinci is their most reliable shotgun with the fewest service calls. Just wish it wasn’t so ugly...

My son had a Vinci. It handled well, patterned well and was reliable. I hated the location of the bolt knob being about halfway in the bolt itself. Sticking out of the ejection port where it does it is right at the balance point. Also dislike safeties in front of the trigger.

I like my Versa max. Have't had much luck with coyotes at shotgun range but I notice a good difference when shooting clays with it compared to my dads old Winchester 1300. I don't know if it fits me better or what but I hit way more clays with it compared to the winchester.

Originally Posted By: redhavenMy Vinci is ugly but works like a champ for turkeys and coyotes. I got the 24” barreled version mainly for turkeys, but turns out it works well for predators too. Benelli claims the Vinci is their most reliable shotgun with the fewest service calls. Just wish it wasn’t so ugly...

I suppose handsome is as handsome does. I do like how it comes appart easily

Originally Posted By: GCMy son had a Vinci. It handled well, patterned well and was reliable. I hated the location of the bolt knob being about halfway in the bolt itself. Sticking out of the ejection port where it does it is right at the balance point. Also dislike safeties in front of the trigger.

Companies found out left handed shooters find it much easier to access the safety if it's in front of the trigger. Seems to be a new trend that will continue.

Originally Posted By: UtahcallerFor under $1000 Beretta Outlander...... I paid $1300 for my Benelli M2, would do it again in a second

So do you prefer your Beretta or Benelli?

I don’t own a Beretta. But my Brothers do and they really like them. And my brother bought his sons the cheaper Outlanders for around $700 dollars, and they seem to really swear by them. I on the other hand bought the Benelli M2 and love that gun. Very high quality, simple, and has worked flawlessly. But like I said it cost me $1300.

Back