Best place for do it yourself predator hunt

coyotehunter2

My cousin and I are planning a coyote hunt this fall/winter. We live in Illinois and want to hunt yotes somewhere else besides here. We were wondering where we could go that is closer than Wyoming. Maybe the Dakotas or Kansas? I am sure it will have to be public land, but you guys tell me what it would take for this hunt. Thanks for your input.

What a great topic. I'd like to hear other's ideas/thoughts.

PM me your phone number and we can chat about it. I did a self hunt to Nebraska, back in January.

Tony

I see you mentioned Kansas as a possable place to hunt coyotes.
WE do. Or did have lots of coyotes and hunter friendly farmers. However the mange is going thru here and will probably reduce numbers drasticly.
If you do decide to come to Kansas you shouldn't have any trouble finding places to hunt.[ Coyotes anyway]

WY is great and LOTS of public land. Buy a Gazeteer (look under atlas on amazon) for the state you're going to. They show public/private/BLM/etc land including roads down to dirt track size in great detail. Or consider making it to the PM hunt in AZ.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you're planning this hunt as a once a year type event, you should look at NE, WY, CO or MT. All have good numbers and good fur if that's what you're after. I live in Kansas and make one or more trips a year anyplace else just to get into some good coyote hunting. Some areas are good. Most are tough, especially after deer hunters push everything to being nocturnal. That, and the dog wagons.

KANSAS!!!! Kansas is far and away the BEST place to hunt coyotes!! June/July 05 issue of T&PC page 11.. It says Kansas produced 111,000 coyotes in the 1979-80 season!!!

Good hunting.

Q,

Might try the sandhills of western Nebraska.
There's a fellow up there that kills coyotes by the hundreds and never seems to run out of em'.
Me,Lance,mange and the dog hunters have'em pretty well used up in this 1/2 of the state of Oz.
Good luck.

John, parvo, mange, K-9 distemper and gonorrhea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gifhave decimated the coyote population in Nebraska years ago. The dude you are thinking of does all his hunting in the Kiro, Newman, Big Springs and Dover areas in Kansas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Good hunting.

Q,

Thanks for all the replies, but I have another question. How easy is it for a non resident to get permission in other states? Or is there a lot of public land in these states mentioned? Here in IL there are not a lot of good publice hunting spots for coyotes. Deer yes, but not coyotes.

coyotehunter2

The east end of Montana has lots of public land. A lot of the ranchers are on the Block Management program which requires a form to be filled out stating the hunters name, where from, game targeted, ect. That allows you to hunt on their private land, their copy gets turned in and they are compensated by the state.

A map outlining their land is usually given at the time. A lot of the public land is BLM which is sometimes leased by the land owner, it's also included in Block Management.

Most of the time the forms are filled out in the landowners house but some have boxes at gates on property lines, those that don't usually have a sign posted with a name and phone number.

That program starts in mid August and runs through December (I think?). Otherwise a county landowner map and a knock on a door is all that's required in this state (no license for coyotes needed). A lot of these ranches around here are pretty big so it doesn't take a lot of knocking to get a good amount of hunting land.

You should be able to find everything you need including information on BLM and landowner maps here, MTfw@p

ND has just as many coyotes but requires a 27.50 fur tag. They also have a lot of public land. Anything not posted is accessible without permission. Permission is required for posted land but doesn't seem to be a problem with coyotes. Maps are also available, NDf@g

Brad

Last edited:
Don't listen to any of em, Go to Nevada. It's 90% public land and had a billion coyotes, sorry to say it's down to 1/2 a billion now. You don't need a license for coyote or badger. Night hunting is legal in many areas, you can go 100 miles and never see a fence. The saloons stay open all night and the girls are cheap, blackjack, craps and slots you can find on any corner. You can tell em I sent you, don't forget to take bail money.

John69 is right. Nebraska, by far, is "it". Go north at Sydney for 41-45 miles, turn right to the fire station. Turn left. Look for the seedy little place with a pile of dead coyotes stacked against it. You're there. Good room and board. Company's a little strange, but tolerable.

I can believe the gonnorhea remark in Nebraska. Wasn't there long enough to form any "personal relationships" with the coyotes, but I could see how it could happen.

Kansas.... pphhhhffffttt!!!!!!!

Quinton,
I went to T&PC and looked that up. That was a marketing ploy designed to make Nebraska look bad. Kinda like K-State football. It would have been more, but I had to go to school sometimes and couldn't hunt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2 things to consider,

1. big game seasons,
coyote hunting really gets tough when the hills are alive with deer hunters, antelope, Elk, ect.
So Dec. is best now for the 2nd thing

2. the weather,
northern states like Montana and North Dakota the weather can be brutal and roads blow in with snow so travel is really limited, This dose not happen every year but more often than not. no need to travel a thousand miles and then have the weather keep you from hunting.

I'd go further south pick a state that has lots of public land and more milder climate.

Back