Best Gloves for Below Zero hunting

I worked construction up in ND in the winter and "Chopper Mits" soft buckskin outer mitten and wool liner mitten and carried a spare inner to change at noon, a dry inner mitten will keep you warmer.

Back when I was doing the Mountain Man thing and hunt with a flintlock, buckskins, moccasins, capote and toque I made a pair of beaver backed mittens with long beaver gauntlets and wool liners. When I would stop and watch a deer trail I'd leave the wool liners on my hands and slip my feet into the gauntlet part of the mittens to keep my toes warm.

Large thick rag wool and thinsulate flip over mittens have worked well

xFZQnM.jpg

Last edited:
I still use suede deerskin gloves with thin liners in them.
With gloves I don't have to run a string through my jacket sleeves like I do with mittens.
whistle.gif

I knit these, the latest pattern goes to the first knuckle in cold weather I wear a wool glove under the fingerless mitten but they don't go down below zero for me.

sae0Cx.jpg

They really work well duck hunting as I can have a few pairs in my blind bag and switch to dry ones after pulling decoys or just sitting out in the rain.

I used to guide for wolves in -40F / C territory and best I used were Canadian and US Arctic Military mitts. Both have nice removeable wool liners, heavy leather mitt with wool on top side of mitt. When really cold I might have a small wool gloves on too.

And now, for something completely different! After searching for years for the perfect hunting glove that would keep my hands warm AND allow me to pull the trigger too, I realized that is a unicorn that will never be found. My solution: Every hunting/working coat I buy, before I use it one time, I take it in and have the pockets lined with fleece type material. I then use extra large hand warmers in said pockets, with no gloves. This allows your hands to get as warm as necessary. When the time comes to get ready to pull the trigger, I would say I have about a good 1-2 minutes from my hands still being warm enough to take the shot. This might not work for everyone, but it works for me. I still hunt for several hours at a time. When I walk, I do wear gloves. I usually don't have more than a half of a mile or so to walk. Im a firm believer now in not spreading my scent all around unless I absolutely have to. I improved my shooting abilities and equipment instead. I hunt in nothing colder than around zero. Good luck!

Last edited:
I am really surprised no one has mentioned a muff of some kind. I have the Sitka Incinerator Muff and with an air activated hot pack, my hands are super warm. I also warm up my remote control for the e-caller in times of real chill. Cabela's also have some, but they are not as weather proof of the Sitka's. They simple belt onto your midsection and you just stuff your hands in them. The bigger compartment for both hands means the hands work together to get them both warm and with a hot pack, they don't cool until very late in the day.

Nevadazielmeister. I have seen those cuffs and I am sue that they work for some but most of the extreme cold temps i a man dealing with are at night when hunting with thermal an dbetween running the remote or har hand call Andy th ethermal scanner there isn't much time to put my hands in a cuff. Even the bulky mittens are a challenge but probably going to be necessary.

Back