Best fur protecting caliber?

jdk81

I'm looking into building a new coyote gun. The rifle will be mainly used for coyote, fox, bobcat, with coyote being the main targets. I am wanting this rifle to be a rifle that I can use durine prime fur season in attempt to keep the smallest holes, and keep the value of the fur at its peak... (as low as that is right now).

As of right now I am debating between a bolt gun or an AR style. Leaning towards AR probably, for the main benefit of quick second shots and not really loosing accuracy within 400 yards. Most of my sets should produce with a max range of 200 yards. I'd like to be able to reach out to around 400 on some sets if need be.

I own .223s, 17hmr, and bigger calibers. I enjoy dropping them with a 308, but they make a big hole!
smile.gif
the .17s are OK on really close, but reloading is a priority so I can pick my bullets for my max accuracy and stopping power. The .223 can make a nice hole sometimes.

What caliber would you recommend to be the best for keeping fur in the best shape, while being able to reach a semi-decent range on calm days, and have fairly acceptable stopping power? 204 ruger? 22-250? Some 6mm? Others?

Thanks!!

I'd say .204 for an all around fur friendly caliber in an AR. The fox will be the hardest to keep big holes out of I'd imagine.

The 223 will work I don't like the 204 but if you have to shoot 400yds better get 22-250 or 243. Just buy a needle and thread and sew the holes up. You want them dead in there tracks first, you also want to make you first shot your best shot and put it where it won't blow a big hole. Fast follow up shots are nice but one shot kill is best. On one of these sites a guy has "you can't miss them fast enough to kill em" I don't know how many coyotes you kill a year but it will need to be a bunch to make money on IOWA coyotes.
MB

That's a good call. Like I've said, a bolt gun isn't out of the question. Maybe I just use the .17 in prime season up close, and maybe I buy something like a .243 AI. Or maybe a 6.5 lapua? 6? Or creedmore? Really open to anything. Not like I need any new ones just playing with ideas of what and how to build.

I've got a shtf 5.56, a semi custom bull barrel 5.56, several .223 bolt guns, 308, 06, .17, several .22lr. I suppose I don't have a NEED, but a 204 size and a 6 or 6.5 size would be nice additions. I have been also thinking to go the 6/6.5 route for a long range coyote gun a bit smaller than the .308.

What is your favorite go to coyote gun and why? AR vs bolt gun?

Sorry for the many different questions and changes of opinion

Originally Posted By: MoYoBomber204 with a 39 Sierra will leave small exit if any and pounds anything within 400 yards DRT.

I was hoping to get responses like this. I feel like I could load it well to give some nice DRT results, with small exits.

Thanks

If your leaning towards AR I would recommend the 20 practical. It's very close to the 204 Ruger but you can use cheap 223 brass, so finding every piece you fire isn't really an issue. Necking down to 20 caliber is really simple and it is rumored to have less "feeding issues" than some have experienced with the 204 Ruger on the AR platform. If you decide to go with a bolt gun then I like the 204 Ruger also. With either of the cartridges I have had great luck with the Berger 35 gr HPs. Others have mentioned the 17 Rem, and that is a cartridge that has always intrigued me. One day I am sure that I'll end up with one of those as well. Lol.

17 rem or 17-223

if it were just coyotes i would suggest 223 or 22-250 for longer shots. but fox and bobcat are very fragile. i have killed a few fox with 223, some totally blown up, some not. 22-250 on fox or bobcat and you will most likely not have a hide worth keeping.

I've had good luck here with our little grey fox with the 223 shooting the Winchester 64 grain deer round. I also have a
.17 rem have taken coyote fox and cat they all looked as if they were scared to death.

I will also put in a word for the 20 practical. Being in canada i cant get a hunting AR but i have a bolt gun in 20 practical and based on its downrange performance if i had the chance i would get a AR chambered for it in a heartbeat. Super simple to load brass is cheep and a 39 blitzking or 40 vmax has yet to make any mess on a coyote.
As far as distance i have killed ground squirrels all the way out to 500.

I'm totally open to a 17-223 but I don't know much about it, anyone care to compare it to say a 204 or a 20 practical? I am not totally sold on an AR yet, as I am thinking of doing a budget build off of an old 700 or axis action.

I do like the idea of the necked down 20 practical, as I have tons of .223 brass lying around. Would you do 20 practical in a bolt gun? I think I may be leaning that direction!

Thanks!

I believe the 20 practical is basically the same as the 17-223 as far as sizing process. The only difference is that you are sizing down to 17 caliber instead of 20. I believe several people have ran both cartridges in bolt guns. You might want to check out blackhole weaponry barrels from Ritch's Precision Guns. I have a 20 practical Barrel from him on an AR platform. I'm sure their bolt action barrels would be just as good!

Thanks for the advice! I am going to delve into which I'd rather build, but for now I'm thinking a bolt gun. Does anyone here have a serious preference for one action over another? First thoughts for me involve an axis with accutrigger or a 700 action.

Thanks

Axis. Buy yourself a barrel nut wrench, go/no-go gauges and do the build yourself. Go over to savageshooters.com and do a search for per-threaded barrels.

I dont own a 204 so i cant say for sure but wheni was researching for my 20prac build i found the 204 has a teeny tiny bit more speed but it takes more powder to get that speed and the brass is more expensive and harder to find.

A sling shot or choke pole is going to be the most fur friendly.

After that it's about personal choices and acceptable trade offs.

Sling shot won't work at 400yrds and 30cal anything isn't friendly at 50yrds. A lot of bullets will get to 400yrds, but will they drop the animal at that range? it's about choices, and you are going to hear just about every caliber and then some that is the best.

Buy something that works and buy a sewing needle.

Back