Best factory sporter rifle right now

Tikka rifles have proven themselves to shoot as well and quite often better than many of the custom rifles I have had built over the last couple decades. At this point I generally don't even consider building a custom gun if I can get the same rifle chambered in a T3. They are superbly accurate, with triggers that don't need replaced and have actions that are rather smooth.

Originally Posted By: GRIZZLYONEI wouldn't know. I shoot older factory Sako's built on the A series actions that have been accurized. Or customs built on Sako A actions. Grizz
EhBlXLVl.jpg

0UEoroUl.jpg

Hey Keith! Good to know your above ground, Rick.

My favorite rifle is on an old Sako AII action. I'd completely agree with that statement. I wish there was a little more aftermarket support of those rifles and I would own a fleet of them.

Ive moved to Howas for the similarities and aftermarket stock support , but they arent in the same class.

I own a small fleet of Sako rifles, both L and A series guns, and there is no doubt that they are excellent rifles. Just hard to come by in extremely good condition in this day and age and finding a new one is a really tough job if new or like-new condition is what you're looking for. And as was mentioned, aftermarket support and parts are getting scarce and expensive since Sako got gobbled up by a "big boy" company who thrives on selling you a new rifle every few years rather than supporting what you now have. And IMO, what you buy today with the Sako name on it is bought at a premium price for a lesser quality rifle than what the older rifles possess.

I'll stick with my original comment on current factory offerings. You pay maybe just a tiny bit more for a new Bergara Ridge or Hunter rifle (they even have a tactical model for those inclined), but in a current production rifle, for the money spent you'll get a lot for your dollars. Good ergonomics, design, and appearance, and they shoot like a house afire. You can spend considerably more for other current production rifles, but the quality and accuracy won't be any better unless you go full custom, and even then maybe. In today's new factory rifle market, a Bergara is a true bargain.

Anyone besides me tried one of the new Mauser m 18 models yet? I purchased one last year but, haven't shot it much but it seems like pretty good build quality and they claim 5 shot moa accuracy. I've been working up some loads and so far it looks promising!
smile.gif

I have a sako AII action that was new in box accept for a 3 position Lapour installed for 450, and just picked up an AV 25-06, maybe well used maybe not, but looks prestine for 700. 700 doesnt get much rifle these days. Lots and lots of plastic.

Originally Posted By: Treerat-sniper20 years ago I would say a 700, nowadays Tikka gets my vote (under $1k).

20 years ago they were building rifles to last. Todays rifles are lucky to make it through a few seasons of hunting. 20 years ago they built rifles that could be passed down to family and they would still have a nice rifle. Today they want them out the door and not last very long so they can sell you another one. There are still nice rifles out there but you won't find them at WalMart.

Not to beat a dead horse, but Tikka would definitely be one of my top choices, ive got a few and they shoot lights out. The T3X stainless would be hard to beat. As mentioned, the Bergara rifles are great too, i didnt own my B14 Woodsman long enough to confidently report on its accuracy but it felt like a well made rifle. I'd shy away from remington, had multiple issues with newer 700's including a 700 AWR in .300 WM.

Back