Best DRT .243 Bullet Non Fur Friendly

Lots of very good bullets in the 6mm family.

My favorite is the 80g Sierra Blitz BT, 41.5g of IMR 4064, fed210, 3500 fps out of a 24" barrel, loudest plop I have ever heard with nothing short of fantastic accuracy as long as you can touch the lands in your OAL.

Today, I would be working up a load with the 55g Nosler, win 760, zero freebore, 12T barrel and would be all over 4100 fps shooting bug holes.

Work up to the above load in your rifle.

ackleyman said:
Lots of very good bullets in the 6mm family.

My favorite is the 80g Sierra Blitz BT, 41.5g of IMR 4064, fed210, 3500 fps out of a 24" barrel, loudest plop I have ever heard with nothing short of fantastic accuracy as long as you can touch the lands in your OAL.

Almost a ditto on this load, I am a half a grain lighter on the 4064 and use a BR2 primer. Wicked accurate........I'm running .007" off the lands.

Last edited:
The facing chest shot with an 87gr Vmax, dumps there innards right on the ground. If that's what your looking for....
It ain't pretty.

It seems that every time I bark them to a stop and they sit down facing me. It ends up being a chest shot that cleans them out.

I run both the 87 VMax and 105 Amax. I haven't shot a coyote, but based on other game, I can't imagine either not anchoring a coyote with pretty much any decent hit. The Amax is good enough for whitetail, yet still makes a mess of prairie dogs.

When I really want to cut a coyote in half, a 110 Vmax out of a 300WM at 3800fps really does the job. THAT I have done!

In a 243, that 80g Sierra in a Rem 700 or Custom with 12 twists and zero freebore is amazing, and 3500 fps. The 87's hit hard, but slow...only down side.

In the 6 Remington, custom Parker hale, 12T, zero freebore Shilen barrel, I was shooting the 80's at 3600, now with Super performance powder, that velocity with accuracy is boosted to right at 3800 fps...now this is worth building a rifle around.

I have had hit and miss luck with V max jackets, thus I stick with a Sierra first when I can, then Nosler. The Amp jackets on the Hornady A max are great, they just need to put that quality control on their 75g and 87g bullets.

I have had several 6mm Rem AI's, they are wicked accurate and fast. In a 26" Shilen 14 Twist with zero freebore, I had the 70's at 4100-4150 in formed cases with win 760, fire forming at 4050 fps shooting 5/8" and smaller groups. I can only imagine a 70g Sierra Blitz king at 4100, AND kick it up a notch, a 55g Nosler Ballistic tip at 4400 fps.

For most of us that Call in coyotes, our shots are 98%+ under 350 yards. It is that distance between 250-325 that will get a guy in trouble hitting them low and unzipping them. To me, this is why "flat shooting" is so important. For this reason, I went to the 80g instead of the 87g due to speed and flat shooting. If you were to compare the amount of "shank" on the 87g vs the 80g Sierra Blitz BT, it is amazing how much more bearing surface you have on the 87 which drives pressure up and velocity down. Since 1975, I can count on two hands the number of coyotes that I have shot at over 450 yards, thus there is absolutely no need in me considering a heavy bullet. Guys hunt in all kinds of different terrain all over the country, and this is why you get so many diversified responses.

For guys that like the 87g, I urge you to try R#19, some barrels will get 3400 fps with accuracy with a win primer in a win case, bump shoulders on every firing. I shoot an 85g triple shock with a very hot load of 19, very accurate and dumps deer and hogs well.

ONe bullet that I would like to try on coyotes would be a tipped version of a 80g Berger(j4 jacket) or an 80g Sierra Blitz King...gut bomb! Some many not know this but the Sierra Blitz king bullets have a "Match" jacket meaning that they have very high quality control for uniformity in their jackets, thus they cost a tad more...best money you can spend.

Last edited:
I'd like to put in another vote for the 87 grain v-max. I load mine with 4064 and, if memory serves, I have them running just a shade over 3000 fps. Not exactly barn-burner speed, but its no slouch, either. It's certainly enough speed to make a mess of a coyote.

Back