Best camo for the open prairie?

Thanks tripod. Those are some great comparisons. After reviewing those pictures and everyone elses suggestions, I think I will be going with the Mossy Oak Brush camo. I think it will work best in my area. Besides, I already have a Natural Gear 3D suit, so now I will have the best of both worlds. Thanks to everyone that responded. It is much appreciated.

Here's something new I saw in BassProShop catalog. It's by Columbia and called Horn Mesa:
HM7099_915.jpg

http://www.columbia.com/tech_focus/camo_selectorguide.aspx
Looks like it would be good in snow too.

peace.
unloaded

Quote:
Well worn Carharts! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Just a shame they don't make something waterproof.

Amen to that!!! I have fooled more dogs with a set of Carharts tan / brown coveralls sitting next to a sagebrush than I care to count. To top it off, they are WARM when ya need 'em to be!

Natgear for out west. It has great hues and tones. The idea of camo is to break up your outline, not make you look like a tree or a bush. I use natgear for bowhunting for elk, for geese, and for coyotes. Their snow camo is also great. I like predator also.

Cabela's Open Country is a lot like Prairie Ghost, except that the background on the PG is greener, where the background on the OC is more tan and gray.

I don't have any but I like the looks of the British Camo, Do a google search on Desert Smock and you will find several outlets,
The US 6 color Desert Camo is spretty darn good also, and fairly cheap.
the natgear that is being sold now has more black in it than it use to, So it might be a little dark,

pic of the British Desert Smock below

desertsmock.jpg

Last edited:
On the cheap I second the USMILSPEC desert camo. Otherwise I have a mix and match set of just about every pattern it seems. I use different patterns top and bottom to break up my pattern (or so my theory goes). I do not own any but I think ASAT is good too. Not pleasing to the human eye but thats not what it is for. They are all good. I would think a light base color would be good for the open areas so you don't blob at a distance. The darker forest patterns seem to work well in the sage brush (again human perception).

I was wondering when someone was gonna mention A.S.A.T. This is also a very effective camo pattern. Predator has some real good patterns too. I've got a heavy fleece coat made by a company called Dakota Outfitters, in Predator and it has been real effective. The background color is almost white so animals really seem to look through you. It works well in the snow too but you can't beat snow camo for that. ASAT is put out by Brigade Quartermasters.

Back