Best Caliber For Wolves?

Originally Posted By: TheshedhunterOriginally Posted By: Rock KnockerThe 30mm cannons on an Apache is the route I would go.

My vote for post of the year.
thumbup.gif

Is that the same Gatling gun like thing they use on the nose of those A10 Warthogs? If it is, I'd vote for that as best, too.

A very close second would be that 7.62 Gatling gun type thing Dillon makes.

A slightly distant third would be the Anzio 20mm.

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: TheshedhunterOriginally Posted By: Rock KnockerThe 30mm cannons on an Apache is the route I would go.

thumbup.gif

Is that the same Gatling gun like thing they use on the nose of those A10 Warthogs? If it is, I'd vote for that as best, too.

The Apache uses an m230. The A-10 is the GAU-8...BIG difference.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: TheshedhunterOriginally Posted By: Rock KnockerThe 30mm cannons on an Apache is the route I would go.

thumbup.gif

The Apache uses an m230. The A-10 is the GAU-8...BIG difference.

Are you thinking the GAU-8 could maybe be a little bit overkill??
thumbup.gif

The Apache loaded round is about the size of just the case of the A-10 Round. Both are very bad azz but the A-10 round is just incredible. If I recall correctly there is about a million foot pounds of energy at the muzzle. They typically shoot one second bursts (about 60 rounds/sec). I've seen what it does to armor so I'm thinkin a wolf would just evaporate. I couldn't find my Apache round to compare to and A-10. Lots of pics on the internet...
"When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!

Last edited:
I would look at the 243 or 25-06. The barrel could be of your choosing. But I would also look at putting a new barrel with the twist that you want.

Warthog runs a 30mm gun, apaches and Cobras run a 20mm gun. Never seen a 30mm bullet but I have 20 that came out of a destroyed tank that looks like you could put a new driving band on it a load it back up.

Originally Posted By: sandy hicksWarthog runs a 30mm gun, apaches and Cobras run a 20mm gun. Never seen a 30mm bullet but I have 20 that came out of a destroyed tank that looks like you could put a new driving band on it a load it back up.

Everything I've read says the Apache runs a M230 (30mmx113) which is a single barrel automatic machine gun or more technically known as a "chain gun" because it uses an external power source to cycle the weapon.

The A-10 also uses a 30mm but it's substantially larger at 30mmx173 and is a seven barrel Gatling type gun called the GAU-8.

I'm not picky, I'll gladly take either one but if I had my choice as to which one I could pull the trigger on, it'd easily be the GAU-8 because those things even sound incredibly awesome!!
thumbup.gif

I would opt or either a rebarrel to a fast twist (8 twist) 22-250, or a 6mm Remington.

As an example, I re-barreled a 22" Tikka T3 in .243 with a 24" Lilja 6mm Remington. My standard load is an 85 grain HPBT Game King, at 3430 FPS (average).

It flattens critters. My daughter bang-flopped a big Muley doe with it last year, and watching how instantly it dropped was quite impressive. It is like a lightning bolt on dogs.

Back