Best caliber for furbearers?

Originally Posted By: FC363I would take a serious look at the .221 Fireball. Enough power to get the job done without destroying the target.

that would blow a muskrat to pieces

.22mag is your best bet! I heard beavers sink when you shoot them
in water is this true?

~Bryan

I have good luck with both the Remington 33gr. and the Hornady 30gr.

Two 3 shot groups at 50 yds.
MarlinMagGroup.jpg

Yes Bryan they do sink when shot. I have heard that there is a way you can shoot them and make them float but I've yet to figure it out. Good choice with the mag, you will enjoy it

Originally Posted By: Bryan8Originally Posted By: FC363I would take a serious look at the .221 Fireball. Enough power to get the job done without destroying the target.

that would blow a muskrat to pieces

.22mag is your best bet! I heard beavers sink when you shoot them
in water is this true?

~Bryan

Oh please.........

Originally Posted By: FC363 Oh please.........

Oh please to what?

The cal you suggested would blow a muskrat up, and not be fur friendly. Muskrats are smaller than rabbits and I know my .223 pops them in half.

~Bryan

Originally Posted By: FC363There must be some giant rabbits where you live!
lol.gif

eastern cottontail -

The average adult weighs about 1.1 to 1.8 kg (2 to 4 lbs)

muskrat -

weighs from 0.7 to 1.8 kg (1.5 to 4 lb)

Not much differnce and most of the mrats in my area are small while as the thumpers are big.

Therefore if a .223, .222, .221 blows up a rabbit and ruins the pelt it will most deffently blow a muskrat up and damage the pelt.

Do some thinking before you make your self look
dumb

~Bryan

If you handload the Hornet is the BEST fur gun available, or the factory Full Patch round by Wimchester,however ANY round much faster that about 2200 fps will be hard on the off side and would require a bunch of sewing too which the fur grader WILL bump you for.

Originally Posted By: Bryan8Originally Posted By: FC363There must be some giant rabbits where you live!
lol.gif

eastern cottontail -

The average adult weighs about 1.1 to 1.8 kg (2 to 4 lbs)

muskrat -

weighs from 0.7 to 1.8 kg (1.5 to 4 lb)

Not much differnce and most of the mrats in my area are small while as the thumpers are big.

Therefore if a .223, .222, .221 blows up a rabbit and ruins the pelt it will most deffently blow a muskrat up and damage the pelt.

Do some thinking before you make your self look
dumb

~Bryan

So apparently I'm dumb because I don't agree with you. The OP didn't say anything about the ranges he was shooting at. If he is shooting beyond 100 yards, your rimfire will get outclassed in a hurry. For your info, the .221 Fireball is one of the more sedate CF rounds in existance. One of his intial choices was the .17 Fireball, which is much faster.

Maybe you should get a little more info before you make yourself look stupid.

Any centerfire is going to blow a muskrat to pieces. Even a 22 mag with hollowpoints is going to be more damage than a fur buyer likes to see. A fmj, and head shots out of a 22 mag. would be way to go.

Hands down without a doubt. 22 Mag. If you get a straight shooten 22 Mag., you will find yourself useing it more than any of your firearms. Full metal jackets are more fur friendly plus they penatrate deeper on tougher game like hogs.

Back