Best Bobcat call???

Originally Posted By: GCAt one time I would have said bird distress and baby cottontail were best for me. But as the years turn and I call more cats I think it isn't as big of a deal the type sound made. Course jackrabbit and fawn distress has worked for me about as well as cottontail or woodpecker distress. I think the real secret is being close to the cat when setting up. They don't seem to want to come a long way to the call like a coyote will and when surprised with excited calls close to them they come on the run as often as the sneak.

Everything GC said is "nothing but the truth!" Almost any sound will work once you get in close enough on a bobcat. The closest thing to compare them to is a coon, meaning they won't travel far, to come to a call of any type. But once you get in close without being detected, they are yours with about any good sound. Curiosity has gotten the best of many a bobcat. We call really thick regrowth pine cutovers for gray foxes here in Virginia and we have had three bobcats come into Platinum Gray Fox Pup, again curiosity. The secret is to locate them via scat/toilets, tracks, trail cameras, farmers most recent sightings and then get in close on them where you have good visibility in/or very very near nasty thick cover such as replanted pine cutovers with a two track trail going through the middle of it, water source is always good to have nearby as well. My go to sound has to be rabbit due to the habitat that I call(full of cottontails). I have had them run in full tilt to Devil Hare, no sneaking. Just remember seriously, once you locate them(POSITIVELY) and get in close that they are not hard to call at all, they are a very curious animals and curiosity kills, as well as hunger. Good luck. There has been alot of great advice given in all these posts.

Last edited:
GjJdsQsl.jpg

This bobcat was a classic example of what GC commented about in his remarks above. I knew I was in his bedroom due to most recent info from the farmer, who consistently saw him cross the two track trail through the young replanted pine cutover going up the hillside from the creek bottom , which was full of briars, honeysuckle and rough stuff.

I snuck in quietly, set up where I could see 250 yards up the ole two track trail running through the thick cutover. That was all the visibility I had, just the trail. Everything else was to thick to see into. I turned on Devil Hare and literally within seconds he emerged out into the trail. GC's comment "in close and surprised him with excited sounds" was accurate. He charged down the trail at full speed, hellbent to get the rabbit. He checked up a bit at 100 yards to cross the creek which was ankle deep. I shot him with the Kimber as he got on my side of the creek. Timer on the remote showed 3 minutes and 34 seconds since I turned it on.

THIS ENTIRE THREAD IS GREAT STUFF IF YOU ARE AFTER A BOBCAT IN THE COMING WEEKS. REALLY INFORMATIVE STUFF IN HERE TO HELP YOU GET THAT TROPHY. ABOUT FIVE MORE WEEKS HERE IN VIRGINIA TILL SEASON OPENS.

Back