Best all around rifle?

My boss has a Savage Predator in 243 with a detachable mag. Hard to beat that setup. The brush camo is great for a calling gun and it shoots the 95gr. Berger hunting VLD like a dream. It is also a good shooter with varmint loads like the 70 gr. NBT or 75 V-max. I've always been a Remington guy, but the Savages are a very economic gun and shooters to boot. The model 7 Remington is a good rifle also, but there is no option for a detachable magazine there. I use a model 7 in 7mm08 for deer, but it is the older non-XMark trigger model in a laminate stock which is no longer produced. The 243 is a very versatile round to consider. I love my 243 varmint rifle and wouldn't hesitate to deer hunt or predator hunt with one.

I'd say a well sighted in accurate 22-250 that you can make headshots with on deer and ribshots on coyotes would be a good option, if legal in your state.

A pretty heavy case can be made for a 7-08, as well as everything that's been suggested so far.
Personal preference is the deciding factor.

After a few years of leaving the 7-08 in the safe, it is back on my bench about to get a new s/s floorplate bedded. I'll be toting it again next deer seson.....

Originally Posted By: ARCOREYMy boss has a Savage Predator in 243 with a detachable mag. Hard to beat that setup. The brush camo is great for a calling gun and it shoots the 95gr. Berger hunting VLD like a dream. It is also a good shooter with varmint loads like the 70 gr. NBT or 75 V-max. I've always been a Remington guy, but the Savages are a very economic gun and shooters to boot. The model 7 Remington is a good rifle also, but there is no option for a detachable magazine there. I use a model 7 in 7mm08 for deer, but it is the older non-XMark trigger model in a laminate stock which is no longer produced. The 243 is a very versatile round to consider. I love my 243 varmint rifle and wouldn't hesitate to deer hunt or predator hunt with one.

Everything he said, I agree!

I've never understood why people like DBMs. They don't function any better, and are one more thing for me lose. Two of my favorite deer rifles have them, but only because they were not offered any other way.......

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI've never understood why people like DBMs. They don't function any better, and are one more thing for me lose. Two of my favorite deer rifles have them, but only because they were not offered any other way.......

Virginia state game laws make them nice. Pop the magazine and you're unloaded and legal with out dropping the floorplate in the dark and having to find your ammo. My buddy has a 700 Mtn rifle in 7mm08, it's great to slap the mag in and go without having to deal with the blind mag floorplate problems. I have to unload and reload my rifle everytime we get in and out of the vehicles, he laughs at me while he just pops the mag in and out. My 700 varminter will likely end up with a Badger M5 for that reason. I guess it's a matter of preference
smirk.gif

Well +1 to the 243 dislike category I have seen far to many deer get away with this caliber to say it is a fantastic deer rifle. As well as having had a few of them myself reloaded for them and shot them lots and seen this I have also seen it happen enough times with others to put a vote in for the 243. Great coyote gun no doubt though.
My Vote would go for the 25-06 as a all around get it done caliber IMHO great on yotes as long range predator gun, Deadly on deer and a joy to shoot. I hope this helps not just picking on the 243 to those that love em good on ya just not a gun I would recommend for deer seen to inconsistent results.
Just my 2 cents :p

Originally Posted By: stomperIs there a certain make or model of a 243 that you would recommend?

Savage 11, 16, 10, 14,
Stevens M200
Marlin XS7
Ruger
CZ

Yep. That makes sense. I'm used to only loading and unloading my gun 1/day. I can unlatch a floorplate and drop all the rounds in my hand in the dark easily. Done it many times. I still get worried about losing magazines for all my rifles that take them. I went to the range last month and left my AR magazine on the counter at home
mad.gif

I often wonder about people who say stuff about the 243 being marginal on deer. If it was in the past, it certainly isn't with the bullets we have today IME. Every deer myself and my friends have shot with 243s were one shot kills. Big deer, not dinks or southern deer. Most, but not all, were killed with 100gr SGKs. Not what you'd call a super-premium-wonder-bullet, but it is on deer, IME.

Are your experiences recent? Was it a result of poor shot placement or poor bullet choice? I could kill deer happily with a 243 for a long time........

Agreeing with the 243 for those two options... for versatility and deer being the largest animal you are going to shoot, i would go with the smallest caliber to do that consistently with. Why go bigger if you don't need it, and with deer you may shoot what 3 or 4 max per year and thats a great year, and you may shoot or shoot at many many coyotes and other smaller game. I have heard others say the same thing about 243 wounding deer, etc... if a bullet is placed well, and busts the lungs, heart, or neck of a deer, if they run they aren't running very far. I wouldnt go any smaller than a 243. It can be a great Fast, Flat flying long range round..

As far as price, toughness etc... many of the recommendations above are great. Less expensive/cheap can be different to many people. To stay under say $450-$500 for the rifle, I would agree with savage/stevens, Howa, but i would throw in Tikka T3 Lite. Tikka shoot great out of the box, trigger can be adjusted by you (instructions in the box) and they are light and tough. THey do have a detachable mag and you may not prefer that but IMO and IME, they are great, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Back