Best 223 Round for Mountain Lion

Yes, it was a treed cat. I had to climb a side hill to get eye to eye with it because the pine it was in was so thick, I had no shot from below. A frontal shot is not ideal, but it was all I had. We had hounds tied up below, so ideally the cat should be dead ASAP.. don't want to take a chance on tearing up an expensive dog. I picked a Stevens in .223 because of weight mainly.. I'm a flatlander from Whiz-consin and those mountains are a bit steeper than I'm used to LOL. The houndsmen that I talked to said they prefer .22 mags or .22 hornet for lions. They don't make much of a hole so the taxidermist dosen't need to sew much
wink.gif
Lions are relatively "soft" animals, dosen't take much to put one down. I've got a video of the shot somewhere.. I'll see if i can get it uploaded.

I plan on doing coyotes during the day and then lion at night. I don't have all the lights set up on the 7mm and don't particularly want to move everything between guns and can't afford a set for each.

I hear a lot of people taking deer with a 223 but they say it is too small for lions. Guess we have huge deer here because our mule deer are much larger than the lions.

Back