Best 223 ar hog bullet

I prefer the neck shot by far on hogs. However, a lot of my shooting is at night, or ,after that first shot, at running hogs. That is when I go for the bigger target of the shoulder.

I have not tried the other bullets and they be just as good. The brain on a hog is a pretty small target, so unless I am trying for between the eyes (you can see at least one popeye in the bunch), I go for the neck just back of the ear.

62 gr. tsx loaded by black hills works. Shoots right around moa from my tikka t-3. Has same POI and roughly same trajectory as the 55 gr SP I usually use which is awesome.

Lung shot exited at about 150 yards.

My friend in Georgia is using the Speer 70gr soft point for both deer and hogs. He has said it has killed everything he and his son have used it on. They are inexpensive and will work in a 1:9" twist. They are kind of a semi round point like the Sierra 63gr or the Winchester 64gr power point.

Loaded up some 60 grain nosler with 22.5 grains of Benchmark. Going to take them to the range this weekend and hopefully they shoot well and will test them on some hogs the following weekend.

Originally Posted By: Warboar_21My friend in Georgia is using the Speer 70gr soft point for both deer and hogs. He has said it has killed everything he and his son have used it on. They are inexpensive and will work in a 1:9" twist. They are kind of a semi round point like the Sierra 63gr or the Winchester 64gr power point.

This is what I use. My son and daughter have both killed whitetail with this bullet as well.

I have been told to clean the barrel really good, before Barnes bullets and that should tighten up the groups. Be sure to clean it really well after you shoot any other brand of bullet behind the Barnes if you go back to Barnes bullets.

Is this true or a wive's tale?

jrnm,

In my experience with Barnes that statement is true. Before I read the directions that state to clean the bore of the rifle really well prior to shooting Barnes I was getting sub par groups. When I found out about the cleaning process my groups shrank. Also seating depth can be a little more critical with Barnes than with other bullets.

I scrub the bore with their CR-10 and then follow up with other cleaner, oil, and a dry patch. Once all copper fouling is out of the bore you are good to go.

Back