best 12ga load for crows?,

High or low brass 7 1/2's work really well. I have hunted crows most of my life, since way back in the 60's, and have tried them all. Seems the 7 1/2 is about as good as you can get. If you are shooting greater distances or more at high-flying crows, then #6 is a good choice. That's been my experience anyway.

That all depends on what you can afford. I usually use up my previous spring gobbler season left-over 3" mags, #6's before I shoot cheaper shells. Those 3" mags bring them down in a hurry.

I like to use what ever is laying loose after hunting season. 2 of us killed 54 one morning 2 weeks ago with shot ranging from BB to 8 shot. go get em

I prefer #6 shot for crows. My experience has been too many hoppers using 7 1/2 or 8 shot unless they are close, inside 30 yards. Apparently my calling and decoy skills can't consistently get them that close or I'm hunting more pressured crows.

Originally Posted By: IllinoisSportsmanHigh brass #5 or #6 pheasant loads. I have found that with #7 1/2`s it is hard to knock down those high flying crows

I tend to not shoot at the high flying ones, so you're probably right about that. I just like when I get to blast them in close, but I have been getting crows that stay high lately so I might start taking the longer shots.

Back