best 12 gauge 00 buck for coyotes

Originally Posted By: Neighbor_GuyFederal #4 Copper Coated Buck 3". It has 43 .22 caliber pellets, and cleanly kills coyotes out to 50 yards with xfull turkey chokes. I even finished one with a hail mary (magic pellet) at 70 last month.

Not so,

Fed 3" # 4 buck has 41 pellets and they are .24 cal .

I was close
smirk.gif
Not bad for going off the top of my head though. 43/.22 is close enough for gov. work.

I don't think I will change my shot shell of choice over 2 pellets.
wink.gif
I stand corrected.

Originally Posted By: Neighbor_GuyI was close
smirk.gif
Not bad for going off the top of my head though. 43/.22 is close enough for gov. work.

I don't think I will change my shot shell of choice over 2 pellets.
wink.gif
I stand corrected.
grin.gif

Federal 3" #4 Buck is my choice when somone makes me put down my rifle for a shotgun....
lol.gif

Doesn't happen often at all, but good choice when I do.
wink.gif

I tried the #4 Buck in Fedral and Remington and found the remington HD T's to work better out of my shotgun and choke. We shot at an old freezer door that was heading to the dump. The T's patterned better and the penetration with the smaller Ts was greator. I think when folks speak of number 4 buck some confuse it with 4 birdshot. That could have been why he thought it was a turkey load.

HHHmmmm Since #4 buck is as rare as hen's teeth in my neck of the woods i have had to settle for 2 3/4" 00 buck.. To tight of a choke is a culprit for causing this heavier shot size to open up and cause major holes in a pattern. I've killed a hole freakin lot of coyotes at 50 plus and that ain't no magic pellet either.
thumbup1.gif

All shotguns are different and one has to burn a lot of fodder through it to find the right shot size..

My 1300 will cut a surveyers ribbon in half at 35 yards with heavy shot turkey loads but leaves major "holes" in the pattern with #4 buck with every choke I have tried.....

I too prefer a rifle even in tight cover now but at one time I used my shotgun religiously. Been shooting scatterguns since my dad bought me my first one when I was 7 years old..

I'll stick with my 00.....
cool.gif

I like the Hevi Shot Dead Coyote T shot for coyotes. More expensive but gets the job done. Every gun choke combination will be different for every gun so pattern your gun. I have a Patternmaster choke tube and I have to use shot with the shot cup in it for the Patternmaster to work properly as there chokes grap the shot cup.

COYKILL, so you have now killed some coyotes with the Dead Coyote T? Glad you found a choke tube that works for ya.

How many have you killed and what kind of distance were they?

Originally Posted By: prkrgrpi have decided to get a shotgun for coyote hunting, what would the best shot size? 12 gauge, 3 inch, 00 buck ?

commas are your friend.
wink.gif

I tried the Dead Coyote in 3 1/2" and lost as many as I killed. I'm sure they died shortly after being shot as they were within 35 - 40 yards but in the heavy sage in eastern Oregon they disappear fast. I will only use Dead Coyote in places where it's required like in California. Everywhere else I use #4 buck.

In Oregon during the deer and elk hunts we can't use a centerfire rifle so I carry a shotgun when I call over there. Sometimes a friend hunts with me and he shoots lead BB's. I've seen him kill a few coyotes with it but he always fires a follow up shot. So do I.

Originally Posted By: pk1I tried the Dead Coyote in 3 1/2" and lost as many as I killed. I'm sure they died shortly after being shot as they were within 35 - 40 yards but in the heavy sage in eastern Oregon they disappear fast. I will only use Dead Coyote in places where it's required like in California. Everywhere else I use #4 buck.

In Oregon during the deer and elk hunts we can't use a centerfire rifle so I carry a shotgun when I call over there. Sometimes a friend hunts with me and he shoots lead BB's. I've seen him kill a few coyotes with it but he always fires a follow up shot. So do I.
i to love to hunt the east brush, they come out of nowhere and run right over ya before you can even get the scope on em.

Back