Berger VLD seating depth?

If u are dead set on shooting heavier bullets, Krieger or bartlien 8 twist will do the trick. I'm not too savy of barrel on barrel contours. I use rem varmint on mine but they aren't guns I'd pack around. I still think you would be just fine with a 110-130 gr bullet on deer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ScalloperOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeHave you tried A-maxs on game ?

Yes, once last fall. Not much penetration but did the job.

Bergers are not designed for max pen either , they do work though.

I've no problem putting 75 gr Amax though a chuck at 600 plus in 223 AI..just sayn..

Originally Posted By: ScalloperJabey9210
Correct 1 in 9. So from the Berger site it would suggest increasing the velocity to help stability. At 3,000 fps ,as you said, the twist is marginal. But pushed to 3,100 or higher, according to the Berger site, the stability should improve.

Bumping up your velocity will help with lack of barrel twist. But with the groups you are getting I doubt you'll be able to stabilize enough to get acceptable groups. If you rebarrel you definitely want an 8 twist. With an 8 twist you'd only need to get 2700 fps to stabilize the 140's and I'm sure the .264 will easily push them over 3000fps. As far as contour that's all in preference on what you feel like packing around!!!

Thanks. I have never had a rifle barreled so I am not quite sure which contour I need for a accurate hunting rig. I will be packing it around at times.

While not exactly the caliber you are concerned with, my 6.5 Creedmore has a "Light Varmint Contour", straight taper barrel and I have a new solid Walnut sporter stock on order to lighten it from the heavy laminate stock it's sporting now...

It has a 1/8 twist Douglass XX premium air gauged barrel and I'm currently running test loads with the 120-123 gr bullets...Some loads that I've used in the past seem to like being between .030 and .035 from the lands...It might pay to experiment with the seating depth for a resolution to your problem...

With component costs and availability, I've started building 5 round loads and using 3 for initial evaluation and the other 2 for verification if I get good results from the three...If the three rounds don't group well, there is no use wasting the last two and I can tear them down to save components for use with the good loads..

Best way to measure a cartridges oal is with a comparitor. The nose of the bullet can and usually are different. Get a bullet comparitor and measure from ogive. That and bullet length is import for twist rate. Its not the wieght of bullets that are effected by twist rate its the length. Just so happens that heavier bullets get longer.

Last edited:
I'd call Bartlein and ask for a Rem Sporter contour. See what they say. Probably a 2.

Personally, I'd want a new stock and a Bartlein 2B. I'd have the action trued and cut the barrel to 23" too.

It's gonna be some coin though.

Originally Posted By: ScalloperI have herd this gun will shoot the 110 Game Kings like a laser but I was looking for a more suitable bullet for whitail.
Well the big deer up here in Saskatchewan fall over just fine with 100gr 6mm Matrix bonded hitting them. Don't see why you wouldn't use the 110gr if they shoot. My .270 win loves 130gr game kings and they hammer moose as well as deer.

Back