Berger .172" 30gr....

Originally Posted By: j12gooseHornady, Nosler, Sierra.... There is a growing market for these items. Hornady legitimized the .17AH ( kinda ), how long before someone markets a hotrod .17?

Surely these companies can see that the 17 is the "now" thing.

As I see it, known of those companies give a [beeep] either. Hornady temporarily discontinued their popular 25gr.hp. they have been making since around 1971 and it was a pretty good bullet for fur saving. But, like the other companies, they stopped making it for now and "to bad for you but we ain't making any more until we feel like it."
Folks can buy from who they want, but I'll be sticking with builders like Chan Nagel, Blaine Leity, and some others. There are other bullet makers out there who can and will make great bullets for you, but the down side is you may have to wait a little longer than usual. You won't be buying them off a sporting goods store shelf and in todays society where we want it and we want right now, it can be frustrating for most to have to wait and/or plan ahead. Generally its a side business for the bullet makers I use and they make them one at a time with their labor force consisting of just them.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeFor those wondering GB price from Berger for the 25gr is 48.04/200 .

I bought one box on the Saubier group buy at $63 shipped for 200. All the more reason to buy from Chan when he back up and running.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: CGROriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeFor those wondering GB price from Berger for the 25gr is 48.04/200 .

I bought one box on the Saubier group buy at $63 shipped for 200. All the more reason to buy from Chan when he back up and running.
thumbup1.gif

Don't be surprised if Chan has to raise his prices.

I used to get all my bullets from a local manufacturer. He stamped out each jacket and swaged each core into said jacket. Price was reasonable and they were a great bullet. Then it all went south. They seen some aliens (true story) and it has been going on 10 yrs now that they have not made any more bullets. for the last 3 yrs every 6mo or so there is talk of them starting back up but it hasn't happened yet and I doubt they will.

Moral of the story...you cant count on the big guys or the little guys. Buy what you can when you can and maybe you will have something good for a short period of time.

i had a long chat with Chan the other day. he was a bit worried about having to raise his price.
i flat out TOLD him to raise his prices as they were very reasonable to begin with. i mentioned that us .17 shooters would gladly pay a bit more for a great quality bullet.
he's a real joy to talk with.

Originally Posted By: borkoni had a long chat with Chan the other day. he was a bit worried about having to raise his price.
i flat out TOLD him to raise his prices as they were very reasonable to begin with. i mentioned that us .17 shooters would gladly pay a bit more for a great quality bullet.
he's a real joy to talk with.

I have to agree, it was a joy to talk to him. After talking to him, you just want to buy from him.

So when can his bullets be expected to be for sale? Why did he stop making them in the first place? I tried google for a website or other info on him but only came up with some hits on other forums etc.

Chan is a great guy and Tim is correct. Berger would not sell him anymore j4 jackets unless he bought 100,000 and paid up front. I think your talking 8000 to 10000.00 dollars.

ok. So I realize it is not easy to answer for someone else but...is he planning on getting jackets from somewhere else then? The way it sounds, he wont buy the 100,000 that berger wants. So if he switches jackets to something different, the bullets he makes will be different from in the past and if so, how can they be expected to perform the same on game?

Im not trying to ruffle feather here. I am considering a build and it seems like 17cal pills are becoming a thing of the past. Hornady makes them and I can find them in stock today. that is the only brand I can find to buy right now. I don't mind ordering from small places so long as the product is reliable. By reliable I mean performance and availability. Performance is useless if you cant buy them, and well if they don't perform, I really don't care how many I could buy.

Originally Posted By: borkonif/when he gets up and going, he will have his bullets "field tested" before offering them for sale.

That is how every independent bullet maker does it that I know of. Chappie (Genco Bullets) who closed his doors also, personally tested every bullet he built. With his fur friendly 17 caliber Predator bullets he offered, they were first tested by him and a fairly well known Predator hunter, Blaine Eddy. That information went into his bullets. Other independent small caliber bullet makers do the same. Want a red mist affect bullet for Prairie Dogs, ask the independent what bullet and why. Want a fur friendly Coyote bullet, again, ask the independent what bullet and why.

I never knew that Hornady 17 caliber and 20 caliber bullets used J4 jackets? The 25gr.hp Hornady works great on Coyotes.
And there are others who make j4 jackets and have the knowledge and skill to check, cut, trim and duplicate Bergers and sometimes improve on what Berger is using.

Back