Bedding thoughts

I would install pillars, stop at the lug, and get rid of the pressure points, myself.

Bedding the action with pressure points on the barrel is never going to achieve my whole reason for doing a bedding job in the first place which is stress free bedding.

Add the pressure points back again if desired. I'd probably get rid of a rifle that needed them, but they are easy enough to put back if you want.

- DAA

I’d try removing the pressure points and seeing how it shoots.

If it’s now what you like. Bed around the lug out and rear of the action.

I’ve also seen guys just fill in the bottom of the stock around the webbing with epoxy to make the forearm more stiff.

I would remove the pressure point if bedding the action.

I would install pillars and bed the action and I like the bedding to extend in front of the lug 3/4" -1" . About to were the shoulder is on the case in your picture.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogHow does the rifle shoot now?

It is a 3 shot gun but shoots 5 shots under an inch with factory stuff.
It has made 1/2" 5 shot groups with a friends reloads.
Both examples I have posted pics here.
I have some pillars and a titanium lug that fits tighter than original.

If it's shooting groups like that I don't believe I would mess with it. I would ask my friend for his reload data and shoot it the way it is.

Quote:If it's shooting groups like that I don't believe I would mess with it. I would ask my friend for his reload data and shoot it the way it is.

Wish you'd said something before I drilled the hole, no I plan to go ahead just wasn't completely sure on the length.

[img:center][/img]

Well the pillars shouldn't hurt anything and its kinda to late not to go ahead with them. As far as removing pressure points, I've seen it go both ways. I had a Ruger that I free floated and it shot worse than before. But you can always put it back if it doesn't help.

Outside of gunsmithing, I work a lot with molds and moldmaking. Personally, I would not continue with the plastic stock; the chances of the bedding of pillars holding in place when adhered to the plastic is questionable. I would cut your losses and invest in a decent laminate or a stock that is not injection molded. You don't need a McMillan or a Manners, a Bell & Carlson or Boyd's will work just as well.

I did pillars is a wood stock a few years ago. After drilling the holes for the pillars, I used a coarse tap and ran it through the holes before installing the pillars. It give a bunch of surface for the bedding to grab hold of. You might cut some shallow grooves in the pillars as well. They won't move if you do this.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI did pillars is a wood stock a few years ago. After drilling the holes for the pillars, I used a coarse tap and ran it through the holes before installing the pillars. It give a bunch of surface for the bedding to grab hold of. You might cut some shallow grooves in the pillars as well. They won't move if you do this.

^^^BINGO!!^^^ Probably the best mechanical
lock of all time. Process works great for split stock repair
as well.

Other than convenience of holding them in place so they don't fallout when you are taking the stock off, does it really matter if the pillars are glued in? Doesn't seem like it would change their purpose, whether they were glued/bedded in place or not.

As for bedding a plastic stock, if it shoots decent the way it is, I'd leave it be till I could put a decent stock on it, THEN, spend the time and money to have it pillar bedded properly. Properly, being the important part.

Bedding isn't particularly difficult and there are plenty of bedding kits and "how to" youtube videos to watch, but there are also a lot of home bedding jobs that didn't turn out all that great and made things worse, not better. Understanding the what and why bedding an action is beneficial, is where many home bedding jobs go wrong.

I believe if the steel pillars were just simply glued in a smooth hole it may have a poor bond depending on the bonding agent.
However I have opened the holes to adjoining cavities that are large and abnormal/irregular in shape.
With this I have some confidence that these would be very difficult to intentionally move or remove.
It will remain to gauge any improvement or loss of accuracy.

Originally Posted By: B23
Bedding isn't particularly difficult and there are plenty of bedding kits and "how to" youtube videos to watch, but there are also a lot of home bedding jobs that didn't turn out all that great and made things worse, not better. Understanding the what and why bedding an action is beneficial, is where many home bedding jobs go wrong.

Agreed. Understanding what you are trying to accomplish and why goes a long way towards making things better not worse.

Blog post I wrote some time back on the subject...

Why bedding matters

- DAA

I have been burned by so many factory rifles that I dont even give them an out of box chance. I order all kinds of gadgets,materials, and parts the day of the purchase. That said, and I realize you're on your bedding way, but if we could go back to go- day 1, I would strip rifle and clean everything, adjust trigger to lowest pull(my personal pref around 2#or less) reassemble, and TORQUE ACTION SCREWS TO SPEC! very important! mount optic as true as possible, go shoot some High quality factory ammo. If it is a modern rifle with an inherit accurate cartridge, and the trigger is at 2ish pounds, and it isn't shooting .5 MOA,with good shooting technique, I would free float, and bed the recoil lug. after that, if it didn't shoot half, it either gets sold,start hand load process, or it gets re-barreled,new stock, etc., depending on what results you want/how much you want to put in it.....

Originally Posted By: shanedogg...TORQUE ACTION SCREWS TO SPEC! very important!

Sensitivity to action screw torque is a giant neon sign that reads "This rifle needs a good bedding job!!".

Action screw torque, within reasonable limits, is irrelevant with good bedding. If the rifle responds to actions screw torque, it's screaming at you that it's bedding sucks.

Assuming no barrel pressure points of course
laugh.gif

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAA

Agreed. Understanding what you are trying to accomplish and why goes a long way towards making things better not worse.

Blog post I wrote some time back on the subject...

Why bedding matters

- DAA

I've read this before and certainly didn't hurt to read it again. Thanks

Back