Bca sidecharge low gas issue

varminter .223

Has anyone experienced low gas issues with the bca sidecharge bcg and upper combo. More than once I've seen this to the point the spent cases won't extract. After switching to mil spec rear charge bcg and receiver the same components run perfect. I'm curious if others have experienced this.

No...but I only own the rear charging mil spec versions. Wanted a dust cover and assist. No issues with either 243’s to date. Didn't want to mess with proprietary bolt groups, tools needed for disassembly, and charging handles stripping or comming loose.

Last edited:
I would'nt want to be dropped off in the heat of battle with a Bear Creek sidecharger but when it comes to hunting the sidecharge is the berries imo. I've got quite a bit of experience with them but I've seen some weird gas issues with a few. I think the ports in the bolt carrier between the gas key and the one larger single vent hole vs 2 smaller ones on the side that the gas rings are exposed to vent a bit more or earlier reducing cycling force. This might be a blessing on an over gassed lead slinger but on a custom tack driver I hate to keep enlarging the gas port.

Last edited:
i would start with something simple like verifying gas block alignment. or just file a RMA and send it in if you dont feel like messing around.

that said - i have a bunch of their side chargers (gen1 and gen2), along with lots in the family/friends shooting group. basically unless someone is doing a high end build, thats our standard go to. i dont recall any issues with under gassing on any of them.

if anything id say - like many manufacturers - their uppers are typically OVER gasssed.

i would start with something simple like verifying gas block alignment. or just file a RMA and send it in if you dont feel like messing around.

that said - i have a bunch of their side chargers (gen1 and gen2), along with lots in the family/friends shooting group. basically unless someone is doing a high end build, thats our standard go to. i dont recall any issues with under gassing on any of them.

if anything id say - like many manufacturers - their uppers are typically OVER gasssed.
I have a couple, and haven’t had problems with mine so far.

I had a problem with one of my 243 uppers that wouldn’t shoot most loads better than close to two MOA. Ihave onecor two oit of a 60 plus ladder test that shot about a 3/4” group. Send it back in under the doscontinued now MOA guarante. After about 8 months i ended up with a replacement upper that they had sitting on their shelf the whole time. I tested a dozen of the tightest grouping loads from the other barrels and they all shot sub MOA accept for one load which I know I pulled the shot. They both go bang every time I pull the trigger and cycle Flawlessly…knock on wood.

Most of these are all custom barrel uppers. I set up a 350 legend for a friend that won't even eject deer season xp 150 loads and believe me I've verified everything. That was a complete upper from bca. It's used as a single shot deer rig that I got shooting in a time crunch so no biggie. Probably address the issue later.
Where my biggest issue lies is 2 of 3 identical 24" rifle plus 2" 6 Hagar's.
One runs perfect on rear charge and carbine buffer set up and has only been set up as such.
The 2nd is definitely at the bare minimum on gas to run and lock open on carbine buffer and won't run on rifle buffer.
The third wouldn't run or lock open on either recently but did run when first put together.
Like I say the 2 on sidecharge are a bit inconsistent which could be due to outside temp and different loads etc.
However the one that recently wouldn't run I switched over to milspec rear charging and it ran and locked open with 3 o'clock ejection.
Loads are not light loads.
They all three have the same gas port size. They are either .093 or .094". Can't remember.
I really believe they are just perfect on gas for milspec rear charge but something is different with that sidecharge carrier putting it just on the edge.

Also have a 6x45 that wouldn't even extract with gen 2 sidecharge bcg. Put an older gen 1 carrier in and it runs and locks open perfect with 3 o'clock ejection. Problems seem to be with bcg receiver combos from about 1 year ago.

Last edited:
sounds like you might need to RMA a couple then. they may have had some issues going on at the time. worth an email to see if they have any known mfg issues with them around there.

they've always been super responsive to RMA/warranty issues.

but you *need* to do so via email these days. their phone is no go zone.

Back