BCA .243 Barrel Nut Wrench

TXCOONDOG

Bought a BCA .243 Win for a guest gun since I read some decent accuracy reports on it even though it has 1:8T. After fire forming some brass and bumping the shoulders back .003-.004, I started load work up using H4350 and 87 V-max. Anyway, groups are all over the place 2-4" so I started checking mounts, etc., this is when I notice that the handguard was slightly canted due to the barrel nut being loose.

BCA has not answered my email or returned my calls and I'm trying to figure out what tool will fit the clamp on style barrel nut as my standard AR 10/AR 15 ARMORS wrenches will not work/fit.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with what system they use. So it has neither wrench flats nor holes for a spanner wrench?

There's basically a semi- flat on one side only. BCA is sending out another nut, as I understand it, this one should not have gone out.

Or why it shouldn't. Have gone out?
Had a friend with a lose barrel nut on a bca upper.
They just don't answer my emails regardless of mow many times I try.

I used to just call them back to back and after about 7 to 12 plus tries eventuality somebody picks up the phone. They will also email you a return label for repair or replacement.

Or why it shouldn't. Have gone out?
Had a friend with a lose barrel nut on a bca upper.
They just don't answer my emails regardless of mow many times I try.
It appears that it wasn't machined properly. I'm not sure how it was even missed during assembly. I just called over and over until I reached someone.

It appears that it wasn't machined properly. I'm not sure how it was even missed during assembly. I just called over and over until I reached someone.

If was me ( just my opinion ) , If you keeping ? You are going to remove gas tube/block to replace barrel nut anyway, So go another step to try to tighten it up on the groups.
I would remove barrel and then bed barrel to Upper using Permatex 640 sleeve liner or permatex 620 . That.. and new Barrel Nut could help tighten the groups . maybe even reinstall with using a quality Adj.gas block also.
I just did a BCA upper about 3 days ago, on one of my night rigs. I used their Carrier, but used my Barrel & Bolt, and Barrel Nut w/my handguard.
This --> There 'BCA' Upper was a pretty loose on my barrel fit. So 'for me' solid bedding is a must for peace of mind for seeking a MOA shooter.
There a big Love/Hate Fest with BCA build reviews on internet. If I were buying, I would definitely do a tear-down and reassemble just to double check everything.

You got a Zero QC with a Barrel Nut ....LOL .. OK... 1st time out with my experience using BCA product . and as I also mentioned in my post there is Love/Hate Fest with the Reviews of BCA if searching ...LOL

This right here is why, If you buy BCA . You double check EVERYTHING they give you before pulling the trigger .
I mentioned in last post. I was curious about the BCA side-charge Upper. So i picked one up ( just the Upper ), and re barreled on it . I used my Barrel, my Bolt, Barrel Nut and Handguard . I did use the carrier provided by BCA, but, I did not put close eye to their Firing Pin provided.

I went out today to put a few Round on paper and get a new zero set, and get the Cllip-on collimated to my scope POA . Pulled the trigger on the 1st Round and ... CLICK .. No Bang. I Tore into it right there on the bench just to find this .

This is the shit right here that BCA is notorious for. Bear Creek Armory, Quality Control is Terrible. Why you double check everything you get from them.
This Pin NEVER ignited a Primer yet, and is exactly like it was given to me by BCA in their BCG provided with their Upper . I got a box of BCG's here at the house, (but not with me ) so not that big a deal except for the pissed-off mood driving back home.
-
New BCA Pin is black coated, and the lack of a ' Tip ' to the firing pin is pretty obvious next to this older Pin that has seen cases of 556 on it's tip.

BCA is SHIT.jpg

-

Last edited:
Why at this point people still roll the dice with BCA is beyond me, the entire internet is FULL of post after post with BCA quality/accuracy issues.

I get trying to save some money but they just aren't worth the risk IMO.

Why at this point people still roll the dice with BCA is beyond me, the entire internet is FULL of post after post with BCA quality/accuracy issues.

I get trying to save some money but they just aren't worth the risk IMO.
As stated, this is a guest rifle. and didn't want something expense to worry about. I read some of the reviews, but decided to roll the dice, knowing that it may be a waste of time and money. The craftsmanship and lack of QC was not a surprise. BCA did make it right, the complete rifle weighs under 9lbs and cost me less than 600.00 to my FFL.

After load development, the 87 V-Max 3 shot groups are under 1/2 MOA (see attached pic). That's comparable accuracy to my custom AR 10 243 using an
X-Caliber barrel (that had to be returned because of the wrong twist rate) w/ Rubber City Bolt, upper/lower receiver set, Timney drop in trigger, etc. that cost 3.5x's more.

Would I recommend X-Caliber and/or BCA based on my one-time experience? I would give the facts and let them make their own decision :)

Attachments

• BCAAR87VMAXTARGET.jpg
    BCAAR87VMAXTARGET.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
i swapped out a palmentto 308 barrel with BCA 243 barrel, working up load now with 75 vmax and varget and supperformace powder.
So far i and getting just about inch groups, i think some of it is me moving,i am going to retry. Ive got some 58 vmax also. I just worry that to light for coyote.

I ordered an upper(223 Wyde) on a Friday, came in the next Tuesday. 18" SS side charger, loaded up a mid charge range H335 load with Hornady #2266. 3 shots to zero, 3 into .685 group. Bore scope before shooting, no chatter, gas port very minor burrs. Very pleased for less than 200 Billet upper and bcg. I would like one of their 22-250 uppers, would be my first A10.

Back