Barrel Length for 204 Ruger?

Daman

I am about to order a Savage 204 Ruger for calling varmints/predators and plinking. I hunt in South Alabama and hunt pastures, timber, pine plantations, and bean fields. I have decided on purchasing the 204 Ruger over other popular calibers because I already have a 22 Hornet, a 222 Rem, and a 243 Win to hunt predators with. We have been seeing a lot of cats and foxes so mainly it will be for shooting those.

I have narrowed it down to 3 Savage Rifles and cost is somewhat of a consideration.

1) Savage Model 11 Trophy Hunter XP
22" barrel
Nikon Scope

2) Savage Model 12 FV
26" barrel
I have a decent 6-24x or a 4-16x to put on

3) Savage Model 10 Predator Max-1
24" fluted barrel
It will also have one of the two scopes put on

If I buy either of the first two I will scrap the synthetic stock and put a Boyd's Featherweight Thumbhole on.

Which do you recommend?

Thanks!
Daman

I would get a 'sporter wight' gun with a 22" barrel for predator setups. The next choice may be the 24" gun, no longer. I actually prefer a 20" for most of my hunting.

The Max I PH by all means. Much more rifle for the money. Get a 10" twist barrel through their custom shop for a few bucks more and you can shoot the heavier bullets.

deathwindII

I am planning to shoot the 35 grain Berger or the 40 grain Ballistic Tips (Nosler or Hornady).

I have never dealt with Savage's custom shop - how does that work?

I got a 12 and cut it down to 22" and I'd do it again.
45A5474C-3766-418B-9A65-45B11D1C04A5-8197-00001016D760D2D2.jpg

Good looking rifle!!!

I am strongly leaning towards just getting the Model 11 with the Nikon scope, ordering a Boyd's Thumbhole stock for it and hunting.

Then after I stash some more cash, buying a Burris C4 4.5-14x42mm with the MOA reticle.

My 12FV in 26" config does not shoot the 40gr VMax well. It does with the 40gr NBT however. (Go figure!)

The heavy barrel will limit your stock options somewhat. Duramaxx is a nice option and not too expensive.

Based on what you want to do, I think I would go with the Predator, throw a scope on it, and just shoot it before switching anything out.

Originally Posted By: DamanI am about to order a Savage 204 Ruger for calling varmints/predators and plinking. I hunt in South Alabama and hunt pastures, timber, pine plantations, and bean fields. I have decided on purchasing the 204 Ruger over other popular calibers because I already have a 22 Hornet, a 222 Rem, and a 243 Win to hunt predators with. We have been seeing a lot of cats and foxes so mainly it will be for shooting those.

I have narrowed it down to 3 Savage Rifles and cost is somewhat of a consideration.

1) Savage Model 11 Trophy Hunter XP
22" barrel
Nikon Scope

2) Savage Model 12 FV
26" barrel
I have a decent 6-24x or a 4-16x to put on

3) Savage Model 10 Predator Max-1
24" fluted barrel
It will also have one of the two scopes put on

If I buy either of the first two I will scrap the synthetic stock and put a Boyd's Featherweight Thumbhole on.

Which do you recommend?

Thanks!
Daman

Id recommend checking out thompson centers all camo predator rifle in 204 ruger. I own one in 204 and the other in 300 win mag and they are both shooters. Lifetime warranty also.

I have looked at the TC's, I just like the Savage rifles better. I have been shooting my hunting partner's Model 10 Predator Brush 223 a lot lately and have really gotten used to the Accutrigger and the feel of the rifle.

Keep the opinions coming guys!

BOBTAILS

That was my biggest concern. I want the 204 because of the velocity. If you can push 32's to right at 4k then that settles it.

I will be ordering the Model 11 TH XP with Nikon on it. I will put a Boyd's T-hole on and eventually a Burris scope.

Thanks guys!
Daman

Mine hits 4k with a light load of Benchmark at 22". I have no doubt that it could go faster. I did a lot of research before I cut mine and I found that 23" was "optimum" but I when 22" for balance and weight.

If I was in the market for another 204 I would go hands down with the TC Venture Predator. TC is putting a faster twist rate on their barrels than all other manufactures, which will allow you to shoot heavier 40gr bullets very accurately. Plus, it is a sporter weight carry rifle that is completely camo & they will guarantee the accuracy. I have a 26" heavy barreled Varmint rig & also a 22" barreled light carry rig. For predator/varmint hunting the 22" barrel is the berries. Just remember that high speed 204 loads with certain bullets might not be the easiest on fox & cat furs.

Daman, I have the model 12 flv in 204. I also have the Model 11 Trophy hunter with Nikon Scope in 243. I also have the model 16 with the 22" barrel in 204 which is basically the stainless version of the model 11. The model 11 has the DBM whereas my model 16 has a hinged floorplate and accustock.

While the model 12 shoots very well from the bench, I would not use it for a calling rig. This one really only shoots the 40 vmax under .5 moa, but will shoot the 35 bergers acceptably at about .7-.8 moa. The model 11 is also left-handed and is pretty light light. It shoots accurately, and the scope is clear and will do well for a calling rig. The removeable mag is a plus. That would be my choice of the three you mentioned for a calling rig.

My model 16 Weather Warrior is also a left-handed 204 and has over 2,000 rds down the tube and still shoots .5 moa with 32's, 34's, 35's and 39's. It doesn't like the 40 vmax as well, and shoots them just barely sub moa. 4,000 fps is pretty easy to attain with 32's and several powders, but IMR 8208 XBR is the fastest for me. This rifle shoots 32's the best at about 3,900-3,950 and I've killed quite a few coyotes with that load. If you hit them where you should it is absolutely devastating to their innards with small hole in and no exit. However you must remember that called coyotes don't always present a good broadside or straight on shot and a heaveier bullet might be better on those fast moving quartering shots.

Sorry can't help with the Predator as I haven't handled or shot shot one.

Last edited:
DoubleUp,

Thanks!

I have made up my mind to order the Savage Model 11 Trophy Hunter Package in a right handed 204 Ruger. We can't use CF here during the summer so I should have the time to work up good loads and figure the BDC reticle out before fall.

I appreciate all the posts in reply to my questions!

I am a new guy here but wanted to chip in. I have the savage 11/nikon combo. Its very light and accurate. I got tired of heftimg around the bull barrel, and went with the sport profile. Plus it comes with decent glass for under 500.00. Just my thouhts.

That is one reason I am getting that one. I have a Remington 700 I built in 222 Rem with a Shilen bull barrel and a McMillan stock with a Leupold Target scope sitting on top. It weighs a freaking ton!

Daman, just wanted to add one more thing on your choice and that is be sure to go to Nikon's website and use their Spot On ballistics software. Once your get your load worked out and know your Chrono speed, you can punch in the numbers and it will tell you pretty close what your dead hold will be for each circle. Then all you have to do is verify and you'll be good to go. Let us know how it all works out.

Back