Barrel Crown Question ( Ticked Off ) Help

VaPredHunter

This Is the barrel of my CZ 243 after I FUBARed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif the crown with my machette. It was shooting 3/4 inch 3 hole five shot groups at 100yards last week. How bad is this going to be any ideas? There is two small dings. How much too recrown if needed.

DSC_0003-4.jpg

DSC_0002-8.jpg

That's not going to hurt anything. The problems occur when you damage the junction where the rifling ends and it blends into the radius, the outside of the barrel where you dinged it doesn't have any effect on accuracy.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I could be wrong but from what I see you really didn't screw up the crown. But re-crowning isn't expensive. I just had a barrel chopped and re-crowned, it cost me $31.50
Now one question. How did the machette hit the barrel?

I'll bet there are a ton of truck guns that are way worse than that,only saved by the recessed crown...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

no worries hard holder, wont affect the accuracy. Better the end of your barrel than your toe- but most of us would prefer your toe than our barrel!!

Have you shot it since you dinged it? The guys are giving you good advice, but I'd sure shoot it to check. Like VA hunter said recrowning is not a big expense.

That recession in the end of the barrel (recessed crown) just served it's purpose. It is to protect and take a ding, just like it did, to protect the end of the muzzle!

Thanks I feel a little better!

VaHunter- It was wind as you know what here this afternoon I finished my job early today and it was to windy to hunt. I decided to go out and cut a trail to an area I wanted to hang a stand on some property I hunt. Being the middle of deer season did want to leave the gun home. So after I cut 5000 limbs I had a brain fart and forgot I was carrying my gun on the sling. The 22 inch machette with saw on rear of blade 1 inch to far bahind the head and ding. Then I was ticked off the rest of the afternoon.

The most important part of the crown is the last point the bullet contacts. The part you damaged is of no concern, its only cosmetic. Cheep to fix, but if its still shooting well dont fix it.

The guys above nailed it. Your crown looks ok to me.
Shoot it and see how it works.
If you ever do need to do some crowning, Dave Manson makes a crowning tool that he sells that you can use at home to fix a crown. I would also think that a rounded brass screw head run in against the crown would solve minor crown problems.

Martyn

I've never touched up a crown on a rifle with a brass screw head and valve polishing compound, how do you keep from making the crown egg shaped or lop sided and keep it square with the bore?

Quote:
I've never touched up a crown on a rifle with a brass screw head and valve polishing compound, how do you keep from making the crown egg shaped or lop sided and keep it square with the bore?

Mount the barrel vertically in a vice so you can apply an even downward pressure. Set the screw in a drill. Make sure it is square and does not wobble. Apply the grinding compound and place it on the muzzle. Apply even pressure and make a dozen rotations. Then reverse direction and make another dozen rotations.

Clean up the grinding compound and your good to go.

Quote:
"...Mount the barrel vertically in a vice so you can apply an even downward pressure. Set the screw in a drill. Make sure it is square and does not wobble. Apply the grinding compound and place it on the muzzle. Apply even pressure and make a dozen rotations. Then reverse direction and make another dozen rotations.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

There is nothing wrong with the crown...

.. and you can wreck it by playing with it.

Crowning is done in a lathe - valve grind paste does not give a clean crown, and does nothing that a rifle needs doing.

Leave it alone and go shoot it.

Quote:
Quote:

Mount the barrel vertically in a vice so you can apply an even downward pressure. Set the screw in a drill. Make sure it is square and does not wobble. Apply the grinding compound and place it on the muzzle. Apply even pressure and make a dozen rotations. Then reverse direction and make another dozen rotations.

Excellent!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Could not have said it any better than you have!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Main thing is don't hit the end of your rifle barrel with a Machete, that really is not going to do any good to either the rifle or the machete.

Quote:
Main thing is don't hit the end of your rifle barrel with a Machete, that really is not going to do any good to either the rifle or the machete.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Quote:

There is nothing wrong with the crown...

.. and you can wreck it by playing with it.

Crowning is done in a lathe - valve grind paste does not give a clean crown, and does nothing that a rifle needs doing.

Leave it alone and go shoot it.

That answer was in response to a question asked by GC. Most folks do not have a lathe laying around and this is an option for those who don't.

Back