Barrel Break-in questions

I've been an avid rifle shooter since 1963, and I have NEVER broken in a barrel, or ever saw the need to. I clean with Bore Tech Eliminator, and any barrel will clean up faster with that, regardless of how many rounds have been through it.

I have tried both the fastidious shoot/clean and shoot until the accuracy goes south...I haven't seen a nickels worth of difference...

In fact, the barrels (.223 AR) where I shot a couple hundred rounds if the cheapest military hard ball (FMJ) before any cleaning seemed to actually shoot better than those that I had babied...It seemed to have smoothed out a very large percentage of the machining marks that usually are present in a factory produced barrel...What I grew up with being called 'burnishing' metal...

I can see going through a break in procedure on a factory barreled gun very possibly making a difference but on a top quality custom barrel, if the gunsmith does his job right, I think it's a lot less of an issue.

Gre'Tan Rifles method for custom bbls and Tubb FF for factory bbls.

Its hard to say if long term there is an advantage to a good break in process but I do find that load development is quicker once the bbl is smoothed up/burnished. Most bbls I have seen speed up once broke in.

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleI have tried both the fastidious shoot/clean and shoot until the accuracy goes south...I haven't seen a nickels worth of difference...

In fact, the barrels (.223 AR) where I shot a couple hundred rounds if the cheapest military hard ball (FMJ) before any cleaning seemed to actually shoot better than those that I had babied...It seemed to have smoothed out a very large percentage of the machining marks that usually are present in a factory produced barrel...What I grew up with being called 'burnishing' metal...

Chrome plated bbl?

I thank all of you for your opinions & information. Very much appreciated. And to the one's I've seemed to have ticked off by asking my questions, my apologies. Thanks again & shoot straight.
Jim D

Back