Baiting

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
You earned that one, Spot. Sitting in a hub blind for over 7 hours is not for the faint-at-heart.

Thats for sure Spot. I can only last about 3 or 4 hours max and it's nap time for me

Went back to the hay farmers deer blind, I knew from tracks(snow) there was a female with a limp(front right). Yesterday I was near there and had a front half of a road kill from the county,so added it to what little was left. Hiked to the blind about 8 pm, NOAA had a wind change and some snow/rain mix starting about 11pm, figured 3 hrs and head home. About 11 the wind started swinging around SE to SW, heard a bit of sleet sounding precipitation. 11:30 I figured 15-20 minutes, head out. Well I dozed off a few minutes, woke up at 11:47. Shut off the heater, packed the day pack, thought to look out before putting binoculars away. There is a coyote out walking near the bait. Got the rifle ready, can see the coyote limps slightly. After a few minutes of the coyote not standing still and me wondering how long the coyote will hang around if the rain/sleet intensified, it stopped broadside. 115 yards, 17 rem 25 WCD is fantastic. No blood, no exit. Probably best fur so far.

Nice!! You are on a roll Spot!! Send some down my way for crying out loud! Good job and congrats!! You are putting in the time for sure.

Yep, you are on a roll, Spot.

I hiked / backpacked in to my hunting shack a couple evenings ago, but the walk wasn’t all that far, maybe 300 yards. Couldn’t get the truck over there due to snow. A coyote had visited the bait the night before. Was quiet all night, then he returned last night when I didn’t stay. Seems it’s a cat & mouse game sometimes. My son heard some howling last night on a distant ridge out past my shack, so at least activity has picked up a little after about 3 months of being very slow. I am considering staying tomorrow night.

Congrats to spot on one more for the pile. Good luck 06 if you decide to try it again. My coyotes have disappeared. None in almost a year. I have a bumper crop of red and gray fox to keep my bait cleaned up. I had three reds on at one time last night.

Speaking of hiking and packing in due to snow, how is everyone handling deep snow on the bait. I will occasionally go and shovel the snow off my bait. I know that if a coyote knows its there, he should come back regardless. But, I'm talking some major snow here, like a couple feet. I have shoveled off bait twice here in the last week. I plow my way down to my sites or close and try to keep the bait exposed to a degree. Birds are always a positive "dinner bell" for coyotes in the area. So, I figure if I can keep a little bird activity, just maybe a passerby will check things out. Also, I have one sensor, a low one, that I have cleaned out and around twice now to keep active. Not a big deal, but just curious. It does tend to change that "natural surroundings" affair about the bait site...deep snow, then a big hole with a deer in it
smile.gif
. What say you guys?

Baitpile, I went to the hay field blind last night(didn't figure I could stay warm in the hub blind). 8pm I worked in glassing on the way. Bait(not much left) was covered in snow. About 9:15 I did a 7-8 second long female coyote wimps/barks. At 10 I saw a coyote(binoculars) working in from downwind of the bait. Within a few minutes it was digging to uncover the ribcage. I always place the bait(road kill deer when available) parallel to my line of sight, this allows for a broadside shot. The 17 hammered again, 4 for 4, 4 nights. I retrieved it this morning, before any eagles arrived. I stayed 2 hours after the shot and repeated the call a hour before leaving. Didn't see anything else, but 2 or 3 coyote went up to the shot one and the ribcage was completely uncovered and tracked up around it. Not sure of tonight, -17 forecasted by sunrise.

Outstanding Spot, and congrats on another one! It sounds like the cold is and will be working in your favor...if you can stand the cold. I know a coyote will uncover a Bait for sure. I'm just thinking about new transients that may not know it's there, under 2 ft of snow.if I keep it exposed,the birds stay active, which I think helps. Never under estimate a coyotes nose, but just looking to up the chances I guess. Good job Spot, stay after em!

It has sure been a slack year on my bait pile, especially considering last year's bounty, but it is the season for them to be rambling so maybe you'll get a fresh crop dropping by.

Nice DoubleUp. You caught that one at just the right time for a still shot.

Talk about slow lately, I have stayed at the shack three times lately and no sign of a coyote. He seems to continue the one-night-stand deal, coming one night and then gone until who knows when. A rather large bobcat did make his way to the table though, coming and going three different times one night. He got a pass. Have been backpacking in due to the snow.

Slow is an understatement 06. In fact, for something to do tonight, I started reading this thread from page 1. Good stuff. 2010 baiting nostalgia...great topic and long lived. Thanks Cougar Jim from way back!

Back