Baiting

Well we got a nice little snowfall yesterday so I checked the bait pile, what do you know, fresh tracks at the pile, carcass was moved from under the evergreen tree that I placed on top of it to hopefully keep the ravens off for a while. Went and sat tonight but no luck. Picture is from the scaffold blind, carcass is on the right hand side, chunk of meat in the middle of the road, carcass is 100 yds from the scaffold, the far brush pile is close to 200 yds. At least I'm finally seeing some activity.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/191296211@N03/50749181022/in/dateposted/

Well we got a nice little snowfall yesterday so I checked the bait pile, what do you know, fresh tracks at the pile, carcass was moved from under the evergreen tree that I placed on top of it to hopefully keep the ravens off for a while. Went and sat tonight but no luck. Picture is from the scaffold blind, carcass is on the right hand side, chunk of meat in the middle of the road, carcass is 100 yds from the scaffold, the far brush pile is close to 200 yds. At least I'm finally seeing some activity.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/191296211@N03/50749181022/in/dateposted/

I went late morning to put out a little more bait, when I arrived at the pole barn where we store our bait there was a fresh set of moose tracks crossing the field and going into the swamp.

Had to return my buddies Leupold hd2 and the Sightmark wraith. Only issue I had with the Leupold was no diopter focus, so I had to use my readers for a clear view. Could easy make out a traveling or sitting coyote out to 300 yards in the hay field. Wish I could afford weapon sight thermal, but fur from last year is still sitting because of COVID. Also the last check from NAFA bounced.

To all the Baiters here: It is a blessing to be a part of this "hunting family". Thanks to ya'll for participating and sharing in what we love to do. May you and your families have a very merry Christmas.
God bless.

I couldn't help but think of this scripture as I looked out on this scene from the following video (click to watch),
Luke 2:8-"And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night."

Deer by Double Up, on Flickr

And this one as well. Acts 20:29-"
For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock."

MFDC4984 by Double Up, on Flickr

Merry Christmas to all you Predator Masters of the Bait Pile. Protect your flocks!

My wife and I just got the kids to bed.
We were waiting to put out gifts from Santa and the bait pile alarm went off. Merry Christmas from the bait pile!
2922.jpg

Hope everyone had a blessed Christmas.

Dozer and TJ, congrats.

Had a coyote at the bait site two nights ago, only it didn’t stay. Got two cell camera photos sent to my iphone. We have about 6” of snow right now. Looks like I will have to walk in rather than drive to rebait.

Had my first predator baiting success christmas morning. Put my trimmed out deer carcass in the timber in my back yard 50 yards from my house a couple weeks ago. Maybe on the 8th or 9th? Wasnt much left but damned if i wasnt sitting on my couch in my pajamas christmas morning, looked out my living room window, and there was a bobcat chewing on the ribcage. Not exactly a hunting story for the ages but ill take it. Good sized female with a prime coat. Santa clause did right by me this year.

I have located a new active bait site, a manure pile with some calf bones and hides. There is an old hay feeder about 35 yards away. Has anyone setup for a shotgun range shot from a pop up blind? I could setup with the buddy heater and shotgun, there are 4 coyote visiting(as a group each night).

Spot, that’s pretty darn close. The wind would have to be just right. As to a popup blind and heater, my first attempts were that way, but at a greater distance while using a rifle. Didn’t take long to realize it was just too difficult and not productive. Cold, cramps from a lack of leg room, and means of resting and being comfortable topped the list. As well, you can’t sit up and watch all night waiting for a coyote to show up. Sitting for hours and hours, trying to keep warm and with leg cramps was just too much. Coyotes are unpredictable and can come any time of the day or night, but probably 98% of coyote visits at my bait site are at night. If they are coming at a predictable time in daylight hours, you might be able to get a shot or two with the shotgun, but again, that’s darn close considering squirrely wind.

If hunting at night you would need some means of knowing when a coyote is on the bait. Shinning a red light around all the time is bound to scare them off, particularly at shotgun range. Most of us use battery operated driveway alerts. Then there’s the need for being able to see at night to shoot. That resulted in me going with night vision.

Not saying a blind won’t work, but just so you know, it’s a pretty hard way to go. I could perhaps see a heated tent with comfortable bunk and sleeping bag working better, but at a longer distance, and with rifle and night vision. Another thought might be a small camper with a window for shooting, but again at a longer distance. I have considered building a portable hunting shack on a small utility trailer I have. Another idea is hunting from a barn or barn loft, but that could be pretty cold. Just throwing out ideas.

With the moon tonight, I went out to look the situation over during "hunting hours". There is a road about 1/2 mile away, was busy from 4:30- 7:30. I'm pretty sure the coyote will not cross the worked farm ground until the vehicle traffic volume slows. Especially with the moon and snow. I could easily see 600 yards with my spotting scope. Just using the rifle scope 200 yard shot would not be a problem. Yesterday I hung a snare on one trail encase the blind would not be an option. Snow and wind coming in tomorrow, this could turn into traps and more snares. Farmer said a neighbor a couple miles away was asking if I would come over and look his place over(more coyote).

Back