Baiting

Originally Posted By: DoubleUp

Sorry you invested in something which doesn't work, but most of us have been there too. Some things work and some don't.

I bought it from Amazon so I will just send it back. I did contact the company and they basically just sent me the trouble shooting guide form the owners manual. And they basically said 500 feet is like best case perfect conditions. I wish they would practice under promise, over deliver instead of the opposite. I will mess with it a little more tonight and then Ill send it back.

Glad you got yours fixed dozer. Nice shot Burnsome.
We had a "drive by" from a limping coyote last night. He trotted right through the bait pile and kept going. Maybe some of the bullet made it through the window seal, we will have to kill him to find out for sure.

Congratulation Burn, DU and dozer. Glad to see there are some coyotes dropping.

The 2 dogs that were visiting my one bait pile daily must have given up cause I have not seen them on the game camera....thank goodness! In return, a red fox began showing herself off and on. The stars aligned last Tuesday night. I got in my stand at 6:30 and just before 9:00 the little vixen came into the bait pile and started chowing down on some deer carcasses. The rest is herstory.

ATN Pond stand Jan. 28, 2020 by Gobbler Getter, on Flickr

Video:

Last edited:

Yeah, I keep waiting to see Gobbler with a coyote photo. Eventually it will happen. As for me, I haven't seen a coyote in about 3 months. It's been a very long, dry spell.

We had two come in last night. My wife was the shooter and when the first shot presented itself, she could not find the safety in time. Call it a senior moment, she has only shot the AR a few times. It was pitch black in the "shoot house" guest bedroom. These two were very nervous, the larger of the two clearly seeing the IR light and didn't like it one bit. The one she killed never seemed to notice the IR. It had a fresh broken leg and I suspect the widow seal deal had something to do with that. The coyotes were in and out and my wife took an exiting shot hitting too far back. A follow-up shot closed the deal but it's not on video. It had started rubbing guard hairs on it's back and had mange on the belly.

[video:youtube] [/video]

I am losing about 75% of the clarity when I upload to youtube. Not sure what I am doing wrong. It looks really clear on my computer before uploading to youtube. Here is a test video for those that have the time. See if it is any better than the first one.

[video:youtube] [/video]

dB1ndg4.jpg

Last edited:

Congrats to Ms. Weekender.

It has been almost three months since a coyote has been spotted on my trail cameras, but finally one appeared behind the barn within the past few days. The bait site is about 200 yards north of the barn but the coyote / coyotes didn't visit there. This evening I sat in the barn loft with the Apex XQ38 scope mounted to my AR .223, hoping to call the coyote or the bobcat that has been lingering for a while. It was pretty windy and rather light too after dark, but I tried to no avail. Below are some photos extracted from video.

49485161253_f538148b13_b.jpg

49485650956_76e146cd32_b.jpg

49485650846_7912b1aec8_b.jpg

Recently I wired down a dead rooster at the bait site. A red fox worked at it a couple of nights, and one night a bobcat chased the fox off and then walked
back to the rooster. Here is a photo taken from video. I would like to try to call this cat and have tried a couple of times. Hopefully we will meet up soon.

49485216128_1e0859d07d_b.jpg

All right Gobbler. Those coyotes have your name written all over them. Is this at your house or from the blind?

Congrats on the coons.

Good report GG. They'll be back.

Was out last night myself. Plenty of fox and coons but no yotes. They have visited every night for the past 7 nights. Our schedules need to match up.

I thought I had my alarm working. After a few nights of no alerts I did some testing and it was not working again. I sent the 500 foot guard line unit back to Amazon and bought the 1/2 mile unit from the brand DU recommended.

Side note... I am a shop local kinda guy but Kohls does Amazon returns and I had a refund in 2 hours after dropping it off a Kohls. Pretty dang amazing.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
All right Gobbler. Those coyotes have your name written all over them. Is this at your house or from the blind?

Congrats on the coons.

Thank you 6. This is at one of my blinds about 1/2 mile in. The bait pile behind my house has been nil for fox but I have taken a couple of coons and a few possum.
Last night was the first night ever that I used my Foxpro with coyote sounds. The sounds were foreign to my ears...lol.
Since just recently retiring, perhaps I can now spend longer times out in the woods at night chasing the night critters.

GG, just a note, don't overdo the howls. Just two or three Female Long Howls 1 and then be silent. This is getting good. Shucks, I'm more anxious for you to kill one than I am for me to get another.

I think I may call behind my house in about 30 minutes. My hunting buddy couldn't go tonight and finding shade from the moon is tough now. I can call from under my shelter and be in complete darkness. This one visited late last night. Actually I called her last night and she got spooked and left. I could have taken the shot, but she was situated in a bad location and I didn't get enough time to study her and be sure it wasn't a large fox.

Here she is from late last night when her inquisitive nature got the best of her and she came back.

MFDC8841 by Double Up, on Flickr

Back