Baiting

I am having some issues with my 4k scope, though not mechanical I think. It night mode there doesn't seem to be much contrast between the target animal and the surroundings, making it difficult to see the outline of the animal well. I have considered that maybe I have my light adjusted too much to the point of aim. On low mode the view is darker but not very clear, and on medium it's too much. There isn't a bright splotch of the beam on the target so it's not washed out but rather appears evenly illuminated. I have the light adjusted a little more open / wide to allow even illumination within the view. I have tried various lights and still have the same problem. I do have a 940nm pill for the TR38 light and need to try that. The contrast just isn't good, to my eye at least. Otherwise, I like the scope.

Is anyone else experiencing similar?

6mm - I havent had any issues like that except when hunting in heavily wooded areas at distances of 100+ yards. My IR light is adjusted rather wide so to speak and have no problem at 75+/- yards during hunts. My light is the ATN unit that comes with the scope and its usually set on the lowest power. When scanning say out to 200 yards, its bumped up to high power and works well.

Might be an issue with the environment you hunt in?

I hunt over about 50-60 yards of open field and the bait pile is 70-75 yards inside the wooded area, so thats about 10-15 yards of deep dark woods the IR light gets into. A while back I changed things up and was overlooking baited areas from 100-110 yards away all through wooded areas and had a hard time with contrast when seeing animals. Chalked that up to the distance, but it could have been to the large number of trees I was looking past thus reducing the amount of IR light actually reaching the target area. Once I got back to overlooking the field, no problems with contrast at all. Hope this helps

Burn, could possibly be the field where my bait site is. I just know that I have a difficult time seeing a good view of the animal, first a possum earlier when I first got the scope, and now the bobcat. The animal is not distinct and clear from the surrounding terrain. I can make a kill but don't have the view I like or think I should have.

I may have to try the IR light that came with the scope. Most every report I have read says it is inferior to other lights out there, so I haven't bothered trying it. Who knows, it might work better so I will give it a try.

As to the bobcat, would you believe that little scutter was back last night. Seems I can run it off, even after opening the cabin door and me standing in the light for him to see, lighting him up with a flashlight, then verbally urging him to leave and then as a last resort putting a bullet in the ground near his feet the night before. Crazy thing is, if I were calling him he most likely would be gone in a flash at the slightest movement or noise.

CONGRATS to all on the latest successes. I saw two coyotes calling last night but couldn't get the shot on either. It's thick where I was hunting and the IR blowback was bad.

06 that cat must be mighty hungry.

6mm- I'm still using the 850 IR that came with my ATN (not a 4K) and it seems to work well for my conditions which is a majority in the thick woods. However, I like to hunt close (by sound) so my shots are anywhere from 20 to 40 yards, give or take. Any large trees or close branches does throw light back into the scope for a short spell but I'm not focusing on them anyway.
Wondering if the location of the IR mounted on your gun may have something to do with it? (just thinking out loud here) Too far back or maybe a difference if mounted on top or side ??? Dunno.
Curious also, are cats not in season there, or do you give them passes?

Gobbler, I mount the IR on the left side gas block picatinny on my AR, so it's forward of the scope.

Bobcat season ended yesterday, however a landowner can take them any time. I have shot several bobcats over a period of years and really just don't have the desire to kill one right now, unless it's some sort of a real trophy. The only way I would take a bobcat is if I could call it. I have called previous cats with both Foxpro and mouth calls. My largest cat to date is a 31 pound male that's hanging on the wall.

6mm -Wow! 31 pounds, that's certainly above the average weight of 20 to 30 lbs. He is a trophy.
Oh, and I wanted to tell you, I ended up getting another external battery for my scope. The PNY 2600, that we both got off ebay, was not quite lasting on some of my longer hunts and did not like having to switch out batts, I picked up an Aibocn 8000 which still fits in the quick detach ring the PNY sat in. I just had to pick up some longer screws as the battery was a tad larger. Anxious to see what duration I get with it. Cold is always a factor as well.

Last edited:

Gobbler, Here is the 31# cat. This was called with the Foxpro.

47252761921_f32e045f9d_c.jpg

33376911408_8b67a534f0_c.jpg

47252761801_9e0ed059d5_c.jpg

And here is the footage from the other night of the bobcat with the ATN 4k and the Pulsar Apex XQ38 scope.
The video has better contrast than what my eye could see through the scope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo-tl4CQmnk&feature=youtu.be

This coyote hit the bait pile Thursday night about 12 and again between 5 and 5:40. This morning he was on the bait pile right at daylight. Here is the picture form this morning.

MFDC8794 by Double Up, on Flickr

The coyote came in about 7:30 tonight. He bypassed the bait pile and made a complete trip all the way around the big field, but eventually came back. Still he was nervous enough that he didn't come to the bait pile but stayed out in the field and was preparing to leave again. I estimated the shot to be about 165 yds., and when I went out to recover him it ranged out at 166 yds.

Here is the picture: Nice Male

IMG_0467 by Double Up, on Flickr

Video:

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
I am having some issues with my 4k scope, though not mechanical I think. It night mode there doesn't seem to be much contrast between the target animal and the surroundings, making it difficult to see the outline of the animal well. I have considered that maybe I have my light adjusted too much to the point of aim. On low mode the view is darker but not very clear, and on medium it's too much. There isn't a bright splotch of the beam on the target so it's not washed out but rather appears evenly illuminated. I have the light adjusted a little more open / wide to allow even illumination within the view. I have tried various lights and still have the same problem. I do have a 940nm pill for the TR38 light and need to try that. The contrast just isn't good, to my eye at least. Otherwise, I like the scope.

Is anyone else experiencing similar?

6mm - I spent some time tonight looking over my bait pile with my 4k and IR light to get a feel to what you are experiencing. Watched 4 coons and 3 possums for about an hour. I basically see/saw what you are talking about with regards to contrast on occasions. If the critters were sitting still looking away from me (couldnt see their eyes glowing) sometimes it was hard to distinguish them from the background. Like trying to see something gray in a gray-scale only background. If they were moving I had no problem seeing them clearly. Adjusted my IR light up to max several times and it helped pull them out image wise a little bit.

Its 70-75 yards to my bait pile from where I set up. Most of that distance is across a grassy field and the field looks like white snow almost through the scope and seeing animals is real distinct and easy. The bait area is back in the woods. I noticed critters show up clearly when in front of a tree but when there's a pitch black background (deep woods) behind them it got a little tricky for the 4K, but only if they werent moving and were facing away from me. Personally, I think the 4k is a good 75 yard night scope in wooded areas. Open fields is a different story and I think the range for positive ID goes up a pretty good bit. I would guess maybe 150-175 yards but I havent hunted at those distances yet.

I use a cheap, old FLIR thermal for spotting/detection and that in conjunction with the 4K works well for me. Either one by themselves wouldnt do well at all I wouldnt think or at least for me. I need both. Thermal for detecting and the 4K on the gun for positive ID.

Have you tried any other IR lights, and what's the distance to your bait pile from your set up? Curious as to what the background behind your bait area is like?

Back