Baiting

Can hunt 24 hrs for coyote, light with shotgun is allowed conditionally. No night vision, no light with rifle. We try to setup baits prior to full moon, I have shot coyote during the day over bait but always with a low front/snow starting. Day hunting is calling or spot/stalk. Never had day visit during high pressure,clear skies. The last cold spell was -40 to -50 wind chill, very little coyote travel. One evening(sunset)of calm winds,-9, called and shot a nice male. I tend to setup baits more for paraplegic hunter friend than myself.

I killed this one tonight at about 10:45 on the bait pile. Probably the male to the female from last week. Big old fat rascal. He's been eating good somewhere.

IMG_0456 by Double Up, on Flickr

Here is the video:

Last edited:
Outstanding work fellas!!!! You guys are on fire!! Very quiet here with weather all over the place. Lost about 20" of snow in a day...now going back to -30* windchills for tonight with freezing rain...a real mess!!! Haven't even seen a possum!! Stay after em guys!!!
On another note, I have about 3 rifle projects going that are keeping me busy. Waiting on a 6x45 barrel yet to finish an AR project, redoing another RRA AR that I had laying around. Trying to lighten that up a bit with a lighter barrel etc... and then another Rem 700 .243 that I'm playing with. Have to be doing something when not killing Coyotes!!!

We went calling again tonight. Didn't see anything, but heard some in the place where we intended to make a second stand. We were late getting started and didn't have enough time for a second stand. We I got home I took my rifle and walked around behind my building to scan the field. When I looked through the scope a coyote was standing at the bait pile about 45 yds. from me. I shot her offhand and didn't even have time to turn the dvr on. My wind was blowing right toward her and just as she looked up at me, she got the whack attack. Here she is.

36 by Double Up, on Flickr

DoubleUp, coyotes are just standing in line to be shot down your way. The word is out that the Dirty Dog team takes no prisoners.

DU - Congrats on taking out a puppy producer! Have you heard about the newly proposed coyote bounty bill in SC? Its 75.00/coyote. Estimates for that state have the coyote population there at 350,000. Be interesting to see if it passes. Road trip!!

I shot this boar last Saturday night just around 9:00pm. I was having some issues with my motion sensors but got things resolved on Saturday and reinstalled them - good thing. This guy creeped in to the bait pile and I never even heard him but the sensors let me know he was there. Ka-boom!
ATN boar pond stand Feb. 9, 2019 by Gobbler Getter, on Flickr

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DoubleUp We went calling again tonight. Didn't see anything, but heard some in the place where we intended to make a second stand. We were late getting started and didn't have enough time for a second stand. We I got home I took my rifle and walked around behind my building to scan the field. When I looked through the scope a coyote was standing at the bait pile about 45 yds. from me. I shot her offhand and didn't even have time to turn the dvr on. My wind was blowing right toward her and just as she looked up at me, she got the whack attack. Here she is.

36 by Double Up, on Flickr

Sometimes better to be lucky than good, but when you are both, a lot of things die. Luck is when an opportunity and preparedness meat.

To tell the truth being an old southern boy, I kind of like fried chicken myself. Had some for dinner yesterday as a matter of fact. Another coyote hit the bait pile about 5 this morning, but I was sound asleep. Maybe he will decide to pay an earlier visit to get some of that chicken before the 2 red foxes, 2 gray foxes, raccoon and possum eat it all every night. I may have to eliminate the coon and possum.

GG, actually most anything that I've ever seen where money got involved was soon ruined. Glad I don't live in SC.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DoubleUp

GG, actually most anything that I've ever seen where money got involved was soon ruined. Glad I don't live in SC.
Certainly greed can end up in the hearts of those who let it.

So last night I set up again on one of my field bait piles anticipating a 9:00 coon visit and he was a tad late, but none the less, he showed. He first got behind my sensor where I was unable to take the shot until he moved. His last wrong move.

Video:

ATN boar MAS field Feb. 11, 2019 by Gobbler Getter, on Flickr

Nice work G. You're having quite the year there. I'm still hoping for one of those coyotes hunting for a new home to find yours. They are in the love mode now and covering lots of territory.

Back