Baiting

Baitpile, there's always something to think about when baiting, of how to do things differently, to use a different NV scope or new rifle and test out various bullets etc. I never seem to run out of options to try and always look forward to putting them to use, experimenting etc. Have a good summer of planning.

When I came home from a calling trip last night, I thought I saw something in the field behind my bait pile, so I turned into my driveway and eased back to the shop. I got my rifle out and eased around behind my building. I saw a cat near the pond and thought that must be what I had seen, but when I scanned the field with the rifle I saw an animal lying down flat about 250 yds. out in the field. I watched it a few minutes and it never moved so I came to the house.

I opened the window and looked out with the thermal rifle scope and it was still there. I took the dvr off and removed the sd card so I could review the shots from the calling and put the rifle in the gun case. When I looked back out with the handheld thermal the coyote had gotten up. It must have seen me pull in and just laid down in the field waiting for me to go into the house I guess.

Anyway I had not locked the gun safe so I pulled the 6x45 back out and by now the coyote had come around back of my pond to about 160 yds. out. I rested the rifle on the window sill and squeezed one off killing her DRT. So it was a heck of a night. Turned out to be a smallish to medium female that had not been bred this year. Could not find the entry, but had a small exit with very little blood. These 55's in 6mm are a tough bullet and almost always exit with the Nosler ballistic tips. Here's a picture. Sorry, no video as I had it all disconnected and didn't have time to set it back up.

Last edited:
DoubleUp...Outstanding!!! Good to see some still poking around. Good Job!!

6MM...My mind is always on the baitpiles and hunting predators! No doubt I will be fiddling with something related, I always am. I will definitely be checking in here often!!! Take care guys, keep up the good work, and have a great "off" season!! We'll keep ya posted.
J

Yes sir, that's what I'm talking about.
smile.gif

Why not, its a good idea! thank you. what's strange is that i got on this baiting thread while searching for online pharmacy LOL. but i'm a hunter myself so it is all very interesting for me

Last edited:

Hi Bella. Welcome. Are you into baiting yet or considering it? There's some very good info in this forum. We look forward to your input.

About 10 P.M. I went back to look out the window. There was a coyote at the corner of my yard. I had the AR 15 in 223 set up for shooting. Coyote jumped back over in the field and appeared ready to leave. I didn't make a perfect kill shot. You know how we all like DRT's,but I hit her in the lungs and she ran about 100 yds. before piling up. I wasn't as steady as usual. Sort of rushed the shot because I was afraid she would soon be where I couldn't see her, but at least I recovered her. Not a very big female, probably last year's and not bred. Here is the video.

Here is a picture.

DU, you got those caged up and just kill one every week or so to keep us entertained??? Good Job!!! Wish I still had some coming around. Stay after em!!

Bp, I reckon we get one every once in a while, but sometimes it seems like a long time between for all the effort it takes. 6mm06 taught me how to persevere when the lean times come which is inevitable. I've probably about thinned out this group that moved in during late January, but if they keep coming I'll keep shooting.
smile.gif

Thought you guys might like a video with some of the kill shots from this past season. Unfortunately we weren't able to get video on a lot of the kills. Hopefully we will add some more before we begin our new count on July 1.

You have had a great season, DoubleUp and some good kill shots with the thermal and Photon. Good to see the compilation.

We are sort of in the off season now, so I thought I would take time to review some of the past results.

I believe in giving credit where credit is due. So, I'm giving credit to 6mm06 who has cost me thousands of dollars since he sent me his Photon 4.6XT to try before he returned it. Until that time, I was going along killing a coyote here and there calling and on my bait pile. Now, I have 3 Photons, a Pulsar thermal scanner, and a Pulsar Apex XD50A on my rifle. Then on top of that he got me into getting dvr's for recording because I enjoyed his video work so well. I try not to think about how much he has cost me.
smile.gif
But what are friends for?
smile.gif
smile.gif

My video work will never come up to his quality, but I do enjoy recording what happens and it teaches me a lot about what actually happened good or bad. I've convinced that lots of folk who believe they made good shots would be surprised where the rifle was actually pointed when they pulled the trigger.

Here are some of the earlier kill shots from 2015 when 6mm sent me down this NV and recording road. In truth, the expense seems less important each time I pull the trigger and see one go DRT.

He he he. Hey DoubleUp, remember that old saying that "you only go around one time?" Well, if the Lord returns before morning then you can at least know you went around in style. LOL.

Back