Baiting

Greetings all,
New guy around here kind of. Been reading for a couple years and just haven't posted. Thought I would introduce myself and just say I enjoy the sight. As you may gather from my sight name, I am a bait guy and have enjoyed this thread immensely. I have been baiting for about 12-14 years now I guess. I do the motion sensor thing and the whole 9 yards...awesome fun!!! I have had good luck most every year. My bait sites are at 130 yds and 170 yds from my house, so pretty cozy set up. I bait from about Nov 1 through end of March. Generally all roadkill deer for bait. Works well. I do some calling in the field as well, but just kind of giggle when I have to set my coffee down in my lounge pants and go kill a coyote...don't get any better than that. Anyway...greetings to all, keep up the great posts and best of luck!!! P.S. 7 off my bait this year so far and beepers going last night yet. Addicting!!!

Pretty simple for me, I have not gone high tech at all. I generally run .223, .22-250, and .308 cal. My boy runs all of that and a .204. We are running both AR's and bolt guns. Rock Rivers, Rem 700's, TC Ventures. I am stuck with mornings, evenings, and full moons with snow, due to hunting regs here in IA. I've toyed with thoughts of NV/thermal, just have never pulled the trigger on that stuff...yet
smile.gif
. I am running a Chamberlin motion sensor with 2 transmitters, different tone for each pile. I started running the Vortex 3-9x50 with V-brite reticle. Have had great luck with that scope...so ended up with probably 4 or 5 of those in the arsenal. As far as photos, will have to get up to speed on those, I don't run photobucket or anything, so will play with that a bit. I have a shooting bench on my porch, so, alarm goes off, sneak out the door, and let the fun begin. I have not been busted yet with the sneaking out the door. May be the 130/170 yds working in my favor there. Big fun!!!

Welcome Baitpile. Thanks for sharing and good to know you have enjoyed this thread. There's a lot of good guys here and a lot to learn. It's always interesting to see how others go about it, with different setups and techniques, so once you get the photo deal worked out, be sure to post some of your setup, bait site, equipment, area etc. We love photos and videos.

David

Absolutely will David. I have been following your awesome video and pics!! Just got done scoping up a brand new Bergara B14 in 6.5 Creedmoor
smile.gif
!! Now to break in and zero, then, well...need to wack a yote with it!!! We will get the photo thing up and running.

That's a great Photo and good quality.

I have a Bergara B14 Hunter in .308 that I purchased almost a year ago. I love it. It's very accurate and a fine rifle. Hope to drop some south Georgia hogs with it early next month. I also plan to use it at my bait site for coyotes just for the fun of it. I have a Photon 6.5x scope on it.

UPDATE: Baitpile, when I first looked at your photo it was a large size, but now suddenly it's smaller for some reason.

I'm resizing them in photobucket so they aren't taking up the whole page. Bear with me on the techno stuff...I'm getting there.

Oh...and update on the Bergara...HOLY COW what a rifle!!! Run about 12-14 rnds through it starting break in. 2 round groups in same hole...with Hornady factory ammo. I think its gonna be a tack driver!!!

Last edited:
Welcome aboard baitpile. Glad to see you got photobucket working. I used to run a Chamberlin a few years back and it worked well. When it finally died I switched to the modified Driveway Patrol. When that one kicked I almost switched back to the Chamberlin but the guys on here help me sort out my issues when I was having problems with my new Driveway Patrol.

Got to be tough with no lights in IA. A Photon XT would serve you well on your baitpile.

pmack,
At some point I may look into something like the Photon. On the Chamberlin deal, I have had great luck with mine. Running the same one now for about 3 or 4 years. No problems at all with the 170 yd pile either as far getting signal. We'll see how long it holds out. I have been following your posts as well...gotta love the baiting. It definitely keeps a guy coming back!!!

Okay, last one for tonight and I will leave you guys alone. This was a fun one last May...We went to try and snipe some woodchucks, no camo, no calls, nothing. This pair steps out...so, we had to introduce them to the .22-250 and .308. Fun evening.
coyote%20double_zps6vkj1cal.jpg

Last edited:

The Bergara's are fine rifles. They have a factory guarantee of 1" or better with quality factory ammo. My handloads are shooting 1/2" and slightly over with Barnes TSX 150 and TTSX 130.

As I mentioned, I mounted a Photon 6.5x scope on the rifle and it is shooting really well. Here's a target that I shot yesterday at 94 yards.

I hope to use this outfit some from the cabin for coyotes. The Barnes bullets are pricy but worth it for a coyote or two.

Very nice rifle 6mm!!! That will do a number on the coyotes for sure!!! DRT!!! Can't wait to put mine to work, maybe a long range woodchuck this spring.

Last edited:

Due to a terrible and lingering head cold and just feeling bad for almost three weeks, as well as rainy and snowy weather plus other distractions, I hadn't checked cameras since March 4th, until today. Cameras revealed a coyote visited four nights since then: the 6th, 13th, 17th and 21st. It liked the bone pile and pulled and tugged at what little meat was still left on them, dried up as it was.

Just goes to show how difficult hunting that coyote would be since it never returned any two nights in a row. I generally hope for a return visit the following night, but many times it doesn't happen as can be seen by the dates of these visits. I have to deliberately spend the night at the cabin and hope for a return visit. Other nights I just take a chance and hope. Sometimes it works out and many times it doesn't. This baiting is just so easy - NOT!

UPDATE:

Gobbler, I finally got around to checking the CCTV male connector with my Moultrie M880 trail camera. Great news. It worked and powered the camera. I took the AA batteries out just to make sure the 12-volt battery and connector would work alone. They did.

The shank on the CCTV male connectors I have is a bit short whereas the Moultrie one I purchased is just slightly longer, but the short one still worked. If you can find the longer shank connectors on E-Bay or at a local electronics store (if they are cheap) then I would get the long one. If you can't find them, then those E-bay ones like I have will power your cameras.

Here's the connector I mentioned earlier and the one I tried today.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-pcs-CCTV-secu...e-/252721901553

These are even cheaper but I can't tell if the shank is any longer or not by looking at the photo.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272112575742

Back