Baiting

I do not use factory cams anymore although my brother has had good luck with his.
Check out www.camtrapper.com
It is a bunch of guys who build homemade trail cams (homebrews)and some guys build to sell. I have roughly a dozen of these builds and one that takes video and audio. External power can be added to most builds to prolong battery life in cold weather.

Check it out

Thanks for the info doubleup and uncle mike. I am running wildgame and what you described sounds exactly like my cameras age problem. 2 of the ones I rely on with IR are the oldest I have another wildgame that does not have IR that I am going to try and see if that will work. The 2 wildgame IR cameras are atleast 3 years old. For now I will probably stick with the wildgame. I do not use external power and have gotten pretty good battery life from the 8 AA batteries they need. My cousin uses Stealth Cam with external power and he has had good luck with his. The folks near me use wildgame as well and seem to like them. I do like that the cameras do not cost so much. Probably a good time for them to break ...seems like sales are going on.
This weekend I think my hunting partner and I get out for some calling time not far from here. A logger friend says the coyote tracks have been fresh in the morning and with some areas opened up in the woods from cutting, it should make for some interesting setups. Plus the temps will be a little warmer. When we go I usually carry the shotgun and cover the flank and he carries his 22-250 for head on shots. I really want him to get one....we have had called them but he has not connected. I shoot on the bait pile and have shot my share.....he does not have that opportunity....plus I would like to shoot one with shotgun while its sneaking in.

Yes, as DoubleUp mentioned, I currently run two cameras at the bait site, a Bushnell Trophy Cam HD and a Moultrie M880. These cameras are at least two years old, maybe going on three and they continue to work fine. I started out with (and still have some) Wildgame Innovations cameras. The X6C was a camera I used for quite a while and ended up with about 6 of them since they kept going out and wouldn't work and I got replacements under warranty. When they worked the quality of photos and videos were great with that model, but they just didn't seem to hold up very long.

I have some of the newer design Wildgame cameras that have the door latch / hinge at the bottom. They work pretty good though the shutter speed is slow and I get blurred videos at night time. I don't use them at the bait site but do use them in other places on the farm, watching game trails.

The Bushnell Trophy Cam is the easiest on batteries of any camera I have ever used. It takes 8 AA and just seems to keep going. The Moultrie eats batteries, but I have an external 12-volt power source and it records video in the field for a couple of months or so before I have to recharge it. I like both of these cameras more than any I have used.

Actually going to go out and do some calling tomorrow...can't wait, from what the logger said coyotes are there. I think I will be packing shotgun and rifle. No more chores or other holiday family obligations...at least tomorrow. Also picked up 2 good sized barrels of beef trimming/bones etc. for bait....nice stuff now the debate is where to put it. Not going to put it all out. It is in smaller portable pieces easy for snatch and run. Normally I will do baitsicles at this time of year but our weather has been much warmer than normal so I need some good way to slow down crows and coyotes and cats. Thought about using tires and putting bait in them or taking a pallet and putting chunks in between top and bottom slats and staking to ground. Any other thoughts that people have tried.

DD, I had really good success last winter with 3 deer carcasses, but it has been so warm that deer carcasses just haven't produced because they won't hold up in these warm temps.

I hope you figure out a way to slow down the bait stealers.

Last edited:
yesterday was a perfect day to hunt, not to cold, light breeze stayed steady, just as I had hoped. 3 - 40 minute sets and the last set 1 hour. The rest of the time spent walking. No coyotes called, only squirrels. No fresh tracks only old ones....a little disappointing.....no coyotes howling at dark as happened during deer season. still lots of fun. Now I have to figure out how I want hold my bait in place.
DoubleUp I agree... last winter was crazy for my spot. This year nothing, only the bobcats as mentioned previously.

Yes you did, good job! Note sure which link you posted from photobucket but the one that starts with img usually will pop the picture in your post vs the link to the picture.

Last edited:
it showed me a black X the first time I tried. I just put my cursor on the IMG link and double click, it will turn yellow and say "copied" for a brief second, then paste that in your post.

Nice K9. That one has a lot of black on it. My last one was pretty nice on it's back (black) even though the photos above didn't show it as such. I didn't skin it out but kind-of wish now that I would have, for tanning.

As to the topic about using a carcass in warm weather, I can attest to that. They don't last long. I generally put out small portions (small chunks) scattered about the bait site. It serves several purposes, one of which doesn't make it as easily seen by crows and buzzards. It also keeps a coyote's nose to the ground, searching for the next tidbit. I like a carcass for attracting and holding a coyote in the area, but have had pretty good luck with the small pieces.

Yup, #36 male.
Thanks
smile.gif

How's everyone doing? I can finally get back to baiting as I have a whole mess of pheasant and perch carcasses, however it's been below 0°F for a few days now with tons of wind. Not sure if my camera even works in these temps.

Up North, your temps and wind sounds brutal. I'm glad I don't have to contend with much of that here, though we do get 0 temps occasionally but not often.

Back