Baiting

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
I guess it's possible. I can't understand why so many who bait are not having much success this year. Even those guys who call coyotes don't seem to be doing as well in general.

Maybe there's just so much pressure on them now due to all the predator hunting that's going on these days.

I have had a tough time getting coyotes to come to my "Kill bait" at home yet they continue to pound my other baits as much as 1 55gal drum in 3 days. I placed a bait 1.5 miles from my home on thursday afternoon. I checked it yesterday and it was all gone and pounded with tracks on the fresh snow. I also freshened up the bait at my home and placed another bait (Free Bait) some 120yds away from the "Kill Bait". They pounded the free bait site but would not come closer then 50' from my Kill Bait. Now keep in mind I cannot see the "Free Bait" but its in a 2 acre opening.
I called the old guy (70+) that got me started. He has well over 500 Maine coyotes to his credit. He said I need to move my "Kill Bait" there has been to many coyotes killed there over the years (33 in 3 years). When you shoot one it craps,pees and puts out alot of sent and they figure out in time that was last stop that coyote made. He said 20' will make a world of difference.... We shall see.

Wow. If that holds true, then I will move my bait site a bit further away. The old guy you mentioned certainly has a lot of coyotes to his credit, so maybe he is right.

Actually, just recently I began putting out bait at a 135 yard site that I can see from my cabin. DoubleUp and I were discussing this very subject, so I thought I would give it a try. I kept it baited for several days / nights and nothing showed up. Of course, I don't think we have many coyotes here at the present time, so that could account for the lack of visits too.

sounds like my graveyard is going to get bigger. activity is picking up -- bait keeps disappearing -- i will invest in sensors at some point-- coyotes have been coming in at night and leaving just before daylight. hopefully i will catch one or more there a little to long or by the light of the moon. headed out to check cameras in a while.

Scalloper & 6mm06,

A buddy and I decided to run some baits this winter after reading thru this thread. We tried a diverse mix of baits, including turkey, chicken, ham, dog food, sardines, fish, etc. We had birds, skunks, a few coon and only 1 coyote. Needless to say, we were frustrated.

Then I began doing some beaver trapping. I started noticing that coyotes were frequenting the lodges and dams during my trapping adventures. So I thought what the heck, why not make one last attempt at baiting with a beaver carcass (match that hatch, so to speak). Low and behold, coyotes!!! I honestly think that the change in bait made the difference. We always had tracks near our old baits, but they wouldn't pay them any attention. I'll try to get some pics up this week.

I'll be investing in an illuminated reticle scope for baiting next winter. My buddy has never shot a coyote, so I hope to get him his first with his new Rock River!
thumbup1.gif

Thanks FishSqueezer. I have heard that Beaver is really good bait, though I have never used it.

Over the last three years, coyotes have frequented my bait site over and over with just cut-up deer meat from road kills and left-overs. When I would take one coyote, seemed another one would show up in short order, sometimes a few days or a week or two. This season is different. Very frustrating.

Originally Posted By: ScalloperOriginally Posted By: 6mm06
I guess it's possible. I can't understand why so many who bait are not having much success this year. Even those guys who call coyotes don't seem to be doing as well in general.

Maybe there's just so much pressure on them now due to all the predator hunting that's going on these days.

I have had a tough time getting coyotes to come to my "Kill bait" at home yet they continue to pound my other baits as much as 1 55gal drum in 3 days. I placed a bait 1.5 miles from my home on thursday afternoon. I checked it yesterday and it was all gone and pounded with tracks on the fresh snow. I also freshened up the bait at my home and placed another bait (Free Bait) some 120yds away from the "Kill Bait". They pounded the free bait site but would not come closer then 50' from my Kill Bait. Now keep in mind I cannot see the "Free Bait" but its in a 2 acre opening.
I called the old guy (70+) that got me started. He has well over 500 Maine coyotes to his credit. He said I need to move my "Kill Bait" there has been to many coyotes killed there over the years (33 in 3 years). When you shoot one it craps,pees and puts out alot of sent and they figure out in time that was last stop that coyote made. He said 20' will make a world of difference.... We shall see.

My case here is different I think. I've baited and shot yotes in the same area for a few yrs. And last yr. I disked up and replanted 40 acres in hay. For some reason it took 4 mo. for the yotes to hit the bait again. But we did get alot more snow than normal. Dreamer

Yeah, it sounds like I picked a bad year to start baiting. That being said, I'm pumped for next winter after all the activity round the beaver carcass. Should have time to get pics up tomorrow evening.

At 2am somthing set my alarm off. I waited and did not turn the light on until it returned but it did not. Thats the first time the beeper has gone off sence november and I just moved the bait 70' two days ago.

FishSqeezer
I also trap beaver most winters and IMO its about the best bait you can get. Ever our dogs go nuts over beaver meat.

Fellas,

Here are a few pics of our visitors. They were hitting the bait every night or every other night for about 8 days. I'm kicking myself for not checking the camera more frequently! They appeared fairly comfy around the site, but they always kept at least one eye on the camera.

MFDC0635.jpg

MFDC0650.jpg

MFDC0873.jpg

Duckstopper - cool pic!

Fellas, I'll take any advice you have on illuminated reticle scopes. I can't use anything that projects a beam and good NV is too spendy. Been looking at the Leupold VX-R's or possibly the Weaver Classic Extreme. Gman757 had good things to say about the Weaver CE's for night hunting (at that price point).

My buddy will want to bring his AR, so I might put the scope on my little Rem Mohawk 600 (.222) in case we have a fox or coon show up.

Thanks!

Weekender/Scalloper
Yes, Weekender, and they seem to be everywhere. There is no hunting season on them and only a short (2 week ?) trapping season on them. They are a PITA on a bait site because they either eat or steal all the bait in a couple days. I'm surprised he didn't try to drag away this carcass.

FishSqueezer, can you use an infrared light. It projects no beam that the eye can see, yet night vision will see it. If you can use an IR illuminator, then I strongly suggest you look at the home-made outfit like I have. It's cheap to put together, and it works like a charm.

6mm06,

I would love to use a system like yours - I've watched your video clips and they are awesome!
I haven't asked a Conservation Officer about an IR illuminator and I suppose I should before I
buy optics for night hunting - good call. Would you be willing to provide a brief description of your current set up?

Here is how my regulations read:

Hunting by Artificial Light
Sights that project a light beam, including laser
sights, are not legal for hunting. You cannot cast
the rays of a spotlight, headlight or other artificial
light on a highway or in a field, woodland or forest
for the purpose of spotting, locating, taking or
attempting to take or hunt a bird or animal, while
having in possession or control, either singly or as
one of a group of persons, any firearm, bow or other
device capable of killing or taking a bird or animal.

Back