ATN Thor-HD

Haha No ATN products in this stable!! Junk is terrible. So you want to spend $4500 on an ATN model when you can spend the same money on a flir or IR Hunter. Id go with what has been proven.

Actually the HD19A and baseline Thor-HD (19mm) are both right at $2000. That's about all I can afford/justify, and hence my dilemma.

Yeah, I didn't see frame rate either, they do say it records video at 30hz, but not sure you can make the assumption that the real-time display is at 30hz.

Pretty sure it will end up just like the Mk1 X-Sight. Even though ATN has a lot more experience and success with thermal than they did with the X-Sight, I believe they are making the same mistake of trying to plug too many features into the scope and make it more like an android or I-phone than a hunting scope. All those features will tend to kill batteries and cause software fits in my opinion. Once someone here who has some creds says it is a good unit, I might reconsider. Until then, now way Jose.

I would stay away from atn. what is it you are wanting to do? scanning with a night vision scope is not impossible, but it is very hard & tiring. pulsar hd19a is great for scanning, I think the only way you could miss seeing a warm blooded animal at 500 yards or less is to be blind. kevin at high tech redneck may have just what you need. he has a gen3 device that you can scan with, then attach it with a quick coupler to your scope for the shot. check out his web site he has videos on all he sells. price is 2400 dollars I think. he use one to hunt with himself.

I already have a good Gen 3 PVS-14, I was looking at the HD19A for scanning.. but this Thor-HD seems small enough to be used as either a hand-held, or rifle mounted. Also looks like it has a decent field of view.

Question is, is it going to work as advertised? I never bought an X-sight, but I've seen the posts. So trust me, I'm very hesitant to pay $2000-$2500 for one. Guess I'll just have to wait out the reviews and see if they've got it right, or if the consumer is a beta tester..

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpPretty sure it will end up just like the Mk1 X-Sight. Even though ATN has a lot more experience and success with thermal than they did with the X-Sight, I believe they are making the same mistake of trying to plug too many features into the scope and make it more like an android or I-phone than a hunting scope. All those features will tend to kill batteries and cause software fits in my opinion. Once someone here who has some creds says it is a good unit, I might reconsider. Until then, now way Jose.

Wouldn't it be nice if someone just made a plain jane scope that worked the way it's supposed to, and left all the rocket launcher modes off!

I mean, seriosly, does a hunter really needs all this stuff in the heat of the moment when being able to see the target well, aiming and shooting is what's needed.
You would think that ATN might have learned a lesson about the X-Sight with all those cumbersome features that require all kinds of downloads to get it to
half way perform.

Smart Shooting Solution
Smart Range Finder
Recoil Activated Video (RAV)
Wi-Fi
Bluetooth
Gyroscope
Magnetometer
Accelerometer
E-Barometer
Smooth Zoom
Profile Manager
E-Compass
GPS Geotag

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpHey 6, are you planning on making that your sig line. Lol

DoubleUp, no, not at the moment. ATN will have to place me on their pro staff and pay me well before I do that. LOL.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Originally Posted By: DoubleUpPretty sure it will end up just like the Mk1 X-Sight. Even though ATN has a lot more experience and success with thermal than they did with the X-Sight, I believe they are making the same mistake of trying to plug too many features into the scope and make it more like an android or I-phone than a hunting scope. All those features will tend to kill batteries and cause software fits in my opinion. Once someone here who has some creds says it is a good unit, I might reconsider. Until then, now way Jose.

Wouldn't it be nice if someone just made a plain jane scope that worked the way it's supposed to, and left all the rocket launcher modes off!

I mean, seriosly, does a hunter really needs all this stuff in the heat of the moment when being able to see the target well, aiming and shooting is what's needed.
You would think that ATN might have learned a lesson about the X-Sight with all those cumbersome features that require all kinds of downloads to get it to
half way perform.

Smart Shooting Solution
Smart Range Finder
Recoil Activated Video (RAV)
Wi-Fi
Bluetooth
Gyroscope
Magnetometer
Accelerometer
E-Barometer
Smooth Zoom
Profile Manager
E-Compass
GPS Geotag

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Originally Posted By: DoubleUpHey 6, are you planning on making that your sig line. Lol

DoubleUp, no, not at the moment. ATN will have to place me on their pro staff and pay me well before I do that. LOL.

6mm06,

They should hire you to help design a NV scope that simply works.........you may want to patent your homemade DNV setup
smile.gif

6mm06,

You just gave me an idea.....heat seeking rocket launcher on a NV rifle scope !! If you miss on the first shot and have a runner.....time to activate it !! High Tech Red Necks can do anything for sure ! Kevin

That is a lot of processing going on there. I'd be concerned about screen lag, especially when you are buffering the video.

Apparently ATN is a slow learner since this new scope continues with the same long list of useless features that hunters don't want. They apparently didn't listen to hunters either and think they know best.

Kevin, we may need to team up. With your high-tech-red-neck experience and my hillbilly genes, I think you and I could beat ATN, maybe come up with an automatic seat belt to our hunting seats. When the scope is turned on it could send a signal to the seat and automatically strap us in for safety. We could probably incorporate a 3-shot distress signal that would automatically alert rescue teams. A rapid 3-shot burst is known to be a distress signal. Of course, we could only fire two shots so we may have to practice up a bit before hunting to make the first two count. If we could just figure out how to mobilize a satellite, we could probably video our hunts. We definitely need to leave off ATN's recoil-activated video mode, since I want video to begin before I squeeze the trigger, not after.

TX, I would love to patent the home-made NV outfit, but Roland on YouTube beat me to the design. I built mine from his idea, so as much as I would love to, I can't take credit for the design.

If thermal scanning is what your after, have you looked at the new scout's from flir. I believe they have 640 core for around $3500. I know it's more expensive but no worries about quality. Solid product, solid company.

I have quite a bit of field time behind multiple ATN Thor's, a couple different 50mm 640's, a couple different 100mm 640's and an OTS-X 640 with 14mm, 30 and 70mm germanium.

I have seen multiple people and been told by multiple people that they are junk.

I respectfully disagree. After using what we have in -25 degree temps and putting hundreds of rounds through platforms equipped with these products I would feel comfortable using their gear again.

However I am not familiar with the X sight or the new Thermal HD, (from what I've heard the bugs have been worked out of the previous mods) if I do get familiarized with them I will be certain to give educated opinions based not only in mild climates, but the harsh conditions we kill in.

I've looked through the Flir RS-64 and can blatantly tell you, the Thor's have a much better sight picture, hands down. I can also tell you the RS series would not of been able to hang with the Thors for the simple fact that when your only option for charging is plugging in the optic, that don't fly in -0 conditions, when I can make a battery swap in less than a minute vs. taking the whole platform in for a charge, maybe in mild conditions, but not here.

Good luck with your decision, I hope to get my hands on various pieces throughout the future so I can continue making decisions based on field use, pounding fur.

Back