ATF for a lubricant?

1trkyhntr

Anyone here ever used, or thought about using Automatic transmission fluid as a firearm lubricant?
I have been thinking about it and here's why:
I own a WoodMizer sawmill. I've owned it for the past 15 years, it has seen a lot of heavy use in very dusty conditions. WoodMizer recommends ATF as a lubricant for many of the parts because ATF does not collect dirt. I have used ATF since day one with zero problems with dirt build up on any of the parts. 2500 hours on the machine and there is still paint on the guide rails, which is one of the ATF lubricated parts. So with that in mind, is there any reason that ATF would not make a good lubricant for a firearm?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nockhunterIt might be harmful to the finish on stocks, wood or plastic.

Mike

Based on what? It hasn't affected the paint.

IMO, it would work just as well as many other high dollar snake oil on the market.

I would most likely use some Marvel Mystery Oil before the ATF though..lol, just saying that because I add a little to the gas of small engine equipment around the house..mowers etc.

Dex-tron type ATF WILL REMOVE BLUING !!!!!!!!!! I'd rather not say how I know this, so just trust me....RB9

Sounds like it should work. Not a hijack but Wood-Mizer has good stuff. This huge Indy company is a rags to riches story. I know guys that bought in the beginning. They treated them like family.

Originally Posted By: ninehorsesWhere have you guy's been? Ya'll never heard of "Ed's Red". Lots of old gunsmiths swear by it. Here is the recipe.

frfrogspad

eds red is known for being a cleaner. not a lube.

Originally Posted By: reb8600ATF is not made to be a firearm lubricant. Use the stuff designed for it.

I find this short sighted. Most 'designated' firearm products are very common, everyday products repackaged and surcharged. There are many folks in the firearm industries that mention ATF and synthetic motor oils as great products for firearm use. Marvels Mystery Oil is a common one as well. I laugh every time I see someone with an over priced bottle of 'designated' gun product.

Ed's Red is great stuff for cleaning and storage. And firearms require very minuscule amounts of actual lubricant. I use some 0w-30 Synthetic Motor oil for lube where needed. And that's is a tiny niche.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: ninehorsesWhere have you guy's been? Ya'll never heard of "Ed's Red". Lots of old gunsmiths swear by it. Here is the recipe.

frfrogspad

eds red is known for being a cleaner. not a lube.

Originally Posted By: frfrogspad
You can divert a small quantity, up to 4 ounces per quart of the 50-50 ATF/kerosene mix for use as an "Ed's Red-compatible" gun oil. This can be done without impairing the effectiveness of the mix.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760 I laugh every time I see someone with an over priced bottle of 'designated' gun product.

You must have changed your opinion then.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760I like to clean mine with brake kleen then apply Remington Dry Rem-Oil. The oil MAY cause problems if not regularly cleaned and re-applied. The dry stuff doesnt gunk up, as quick. IME

Originally Posted By: pahntr760I use CLP mostly. But lately I've been looking at MC3000 for the autos. If it can keep up in a M61A1 (20 mm Vulcan) I suspect it will work well in my ARs.

Yes, in some aspects I have. Nice cherry pick though. I guess my opinion differing with yours is a cause for a 'call out'. Are you really that begrudged that you feel the need to quote some old posts? Have you ever tried Ed's Red or ATF or motor oil? Just checking...

What's funny, is the one quote was from trigger maintenance. And the other specifically for AR trigger groups.

Great job, Mark. You win the Internet!
thumbup.gif
Bless your heart.

You said you found my opinion "short sighted" so I was responding to your post and remembered you commenting about it in the past. Just wasnt sure if you were trying to argue since you have made comments about my replies on several posts in the last year as if you were trying to "call me out". No I have never tried them. Have no reason to change from the CLP that I use.

I will respond to any opinion or comment I wish. Be it in support or to differ. I am simply expressing my opinion, just the same as you are. Just because it is differing yours, does not constitute a 'call out'.

And in this case, by your own admission, your statement is factually short sighted. You have never used the products the OP asked about in the manner in which he asked for them to be used. Therefore, yes...your comments were indeed short sighted.

FWIW, I was addressing the comment, not the commenter. That you took upon yourself as a personal issue. And your malicious intent in the response to my comments is certainly a rub on the PM TOS...of course, IMO.
laugh.gif

About all I have used for the past ten years is ED's Red or Kroil and a air compressor to blow off any excess. Pretty good stuff and lasts along time

I've heard of people using ATF as lube for AR's. I don't remember exactly but it was suppose to help clean as well as lubricate. I've also heard of people having their ar not cycle properly and to pull the trans dipstick on the truck to get some lube for the rifle in a pinch.

Seems like it ought to work, but I never have tried it. I've been using a light weight Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil (I wanna say 0-30) for several years now on all my firearms and it has worked well for me. A quart of Mobil 1 will probably last most of my shooting life, and I'm out 6 bucks.

Back