as ear protectionEarplugs when calling?

Originally Posted By: NdIndyI know you still need to tax stamp it if you make one, but how hard and how well does it work?

ACTUALLY. SD (and a few other states) recently passed the Firearms Freedom Act to circumvent the NFA Tax Stamp as long as it is built and forever stays within South Dakota boundaries. The only reason congress can tax them in the first place is because most sales and transfers take place across state lines. As long as they never leave, BATFE doesn't get a say in the matter. Many states are putting similar laws into effect.
Google FIREARMS FREEDOM ACT for more info

I haven't heard of anyone deciding to do it yet, but very soon, it will happen.

cbass16,

do you know of anyone who has personally used the firearms freedom act to purchase a suppressor in their state without paying the ATF?

I don't know of anyone manufacturing under the (relatively) new Firearms Freedom Act. I know I wouldn't risk ending up in some federal prison camp just to save a few bucks. There will be a "test" case at some point and that guinea pig will need the financial support to hire a not only a good criminal defense attorney but also a lawyer who litigates constitutional law. The associates working under such attorneys probably bill $200 an hour; How much was that tax stamp again?

One of the issues will include whether or not the materials used have/had an interstate nexus, i.e. was the steel/titanium used in the can a "product" of South Dakota. But of course, it doesn't just end there. There are plenty of arguments that the Gov't will have relating to the National Firearms Act and other legislation that pre-dates South Dakota's "FFA".

I love the spirit of our legislation but I'm not in the business of poking tigers or martyrdom.

ear plugs
I use these and they work fairly well. If there's a steady wind you can't hear conversations well with them due to the wind blowing across the small hole, but that's what you'll get with standard muffs anyway. They work pretty well if you don't want to spend a lot of $$$

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: coues7cbass16,

do you know of anyone who has personally used the firearms freedom act to purchase a suppressor in their state without paying the ATF?

At the gun show out in Rapid last spring, MANY MANY individuals spoke up about doing Form 1's for years...and that when FFA went through they would be pushing them out for sale to friends and family. BUT I have not heard of anyone doing it in my shooting circles...yet.

Back