Arkansas predator hunters

Yep, that is right and I asked them that question when I was at the turkey meeting. No real response other than "We have extended opportunity.

It kills me sometimes, but I obey the laws. I watched 2 coyotes in my back field tonight that could have easily took some lead poisoning. But I will snare them instead to be legal and not have nightmares about poaching.

The sad part is, every year that I go to Texas, I feel like a criminal when hunting at night for predators. Even though I know logically it is perfectly legal there. I always feel dirty after doing it because of the conditioning from Arkansas.

The last 4 years I have went, I saved every receipt that I got on the trip and mailed it to the commissioners. Just to make a point.

Regarding the Arkansas Predator Hunter Association, I will send you a PM on that.

I hate to say it boys, but it's most likley a waste of time. They are gonna do what they wanna do. these are the same folks that moved bears from the White river to southern Arkansas (the guys down here sure appreciate getting all their stuff tore all to he11). They are also the same ones that want to re-introduce red wolves and florida panthers here too. The alligator population is rolling pretty good now also. I just named off 4 predators that are nothing more than a nusance and a hazord to people. Sorry fellas, common sense left there a long time ago.

Yeah, some of the rules down here are a little crazy. I've only lived in AR a year and a half or so and definately miss the night hunting. Mostly the full moon snow hunts!

I really wish you could use rifles on the WMA's. I work for a company which owns alot of land leased for WMA's and find awesome calling sets all the time. Still trying to adjust my stand selection for shotgun use.

I think there is a major lack of trust in hunters by G&F/DNR offices. They seem to think that we are all poachers at heart and without them to keep us honest it would be wholesale slaughter. In my experience hunters are hunters and poachers are poachers-you rarely find the two together. Being able to use rifles or a spotlight leagally won't make a d**n bit of difference.

JMHO
Joe
P.S I'm also interested the AR predator hunters [beeep]. Doesn't seem to be much info on their website.

yotehuntr57: I think you missed my point. We already have night hunting, only you have to use dogs. I was speaking in response to the "gunfire at night" being an issue. So now it would be gunfire without all the dogs barking. My point being the gunfire at night is not a valid reason for not allowing predator hunting at night.

Dave, I totally forgot about the hogs, probably cause we don't have any around here. I guess it goes back to "out of sight, out of mind".

1happyshooter, I can be a little slow, but I understand now.
And I know part of the problem lies in the way our court system handles poaching. They treat it as a nusance rather thanthe crime it is.

Shayne

Originally Posted By: Copen1822Yeah, some of the rules down here are a little crazy. I've only lived in AR a year and a half or so and definately miss the night hunting. Mostly the full moon snow hunts!

I really wish you could use rifles on the WMA's. I work for a company which owns alot of land leased for WMA's and find awesome calling sets all the time. Still trying to adjust my stand selection for shotgun use.

I think there is a major lack of trust in hunters by G&F/DNR offices. They seem to think that we are all poachers at heart and without them to keep us honest it would be wholesale slaughter. In my experience hunters are hunters and poachers are poachers-you rarely find the two together. Being able to use rifles or a spotlight leagally won't make a d**n bit of difference.

JMHO
Joe
P.S I'm also interested the AR predator hunters [beeep]. Doesn't seem to be much info on their website.

You are exactly right about that. That is the thing about most government agencies. They rule by pessimism and not optimism. Their job is to find the bad and correct it, not find the good and repeat it.

What I read in the letter from the wildlife biologist.
"Is he is concerned of public well see killing of animals not being used properly but just for sport.
If Coyote numbers were kept in check by hunting. I.e. day and night hunting.
The substainable resource would be more balanced and bring more revenue to the state.
Hey guys why don't y'all start a predator hunting association for arkansas.
That way its the people that are trying to solve the problem that are the main contributors.
You could start it on line to see what kind of responce you would get and go from there.
The power of numbers allwas wins.

P.S. I would join the association for the support of y'alls cause.

Last edited:
I have been working on a project myself and have compiled a map of the states that allow night hunting (Albeit with some restrictons in some cases.) Not many states outright ban night hunting, but some do restrict lights and hours. Some require a night hunting permit that is purchasable but not "Authorized nuisance" permits like ours. There was Nevada that regulates night hunting by county as well.

Alot of the information was obtained from the NPHA map and the regulations it has listed, I have also contacted a couple of the states for clarification and will sending a revised copy of the document to NPHA to add to thier data.

I hope you find this as interesting as I did.
State map of Coyote Night hunting

The Map is a work in progress so please disregard not having the legend. Green is allowed*, Red means forget it, Teal is still waiting on info.

So far only 9 states in the continental US restrict it completely.

If any of you see things that need corrected, please let me know. I am working from the NPHA document for a lot of this and there may be some oversights at this time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yotehunter57 The AGFC is a sore subject with everybdy I know.
Tay, Arkensaw ain't a bad plack to live for a bassackward state. Like Dave said coyoes usually aren't worth skinning unless you want to tan one.
Does anybody here belong to the Arkansas Predator Hunters Association? Wondering what their numbers are and joining if possible.

Shayne

Was, but their site has slow activity. Seems like hardly anyone uses it.

Originally Posted By: mwells72774Originally Posted By: yotehunter57 The AGFC is a sore subject with everybdy I know.
Tay, Arkensaw ain't a bad plack to live for a bassackward state. Like Dave said coyoes usually aren't worth skinning unless you want to tan one.
Does anybody here belong to the Arkansas Predator Hunters Association? Wondering what their numbers are and joining if possible.

Shayne

Was, but their site has slow activity. Seems like hardly anyone uses it. I'm on it also and only a few of us actually contribute. More activity in the predator section of ARhunting.net..

Back