Are my shotgun patterns acceptable for coyotes? Can I do better?

I use the Hornady BB loads in my Versa Max and had the best luck with an Improved cylinder choke. With the super nova I use a Carlson buckshot choke with 4 buck and the Winchester Varmint X and have been pleased with both. The super nova would not pattern well with any choke with the Hornady BB.

We dont normally shotgun coyotes around here but I still enjoy my shotguns. They are ready for when the day comes to take them coyoyte hunting.
My experience has been, Hevishot coyote loads, 3" 1 1/2oz of T shot worked and patterned best with the Carlson Dead Coyote choke. But those shels are expensive! So the best alternative I found was the Winchester Varmint X BB with the same choke. These are in my 870 Express with a 28" Carlson barrel.
My other shotgun is a 30" 11-87 Special Purpose. Its still new to me so I havent made much time for testing. But so far the same Dead Coyote choke and Varmint-X BB loads are patterning great but hit a little low.

Unfortunately you can do some serious wallet damage testing different chokes and different shells. Ive been real curious about the Patternmaster Code Black turkey choke. But man, thats a $100 bill for that tube.

i called Kicks hes going to hook me up with a .670 Gobblin Thunder for #4 buck. I wana try the BB loads but im worried about penetration at 50 yards. Unless of course i shoot the hevi shot but kicks says no hevi shot in the GT. Maybe ill have him send the Howler H too to try some dead coyote loads. Does anybody know what tge constriction is on the Kicks Howler H??

You are asking for people with experience with your gun? You seem to be over thinking this. A shotgun throws shot. Listen to people who shoot coyotes. Then go shoot coyotes. Maybe get a rifle.

Back