Archery/Bowhunting Myths you'd like debunked?

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.Razor sharp/ready to use right out of the packaging!Many are advertized as such but they're not.

I haven't found any that were sharp enough for me. Shaving hair certainly means they are sharp, but I like to use the rubber band test. Back in the day when I got started Fred Bear hammered about using a file to sharpen broadheads. This was bad advice and even ol' Fred admitted it in his later years. I believe a lot of bowhunters don't assign the proper importance of having broadheads that will sever an artery. Arteries are like rubber bands and the only way I can get a broadhead sharp enough is by honing and stropping. I have been bowhunting for many years and the difference between following the blood trail of what looked like a good hit for many hours only to have it drop off to nothing or seeing the animal drop from your treestand is a sharp enough broadhead.

I found that this would be a good spot for this question..

I have a Compound bow that must be 15 years old. I wanted it to have just in cases.. I traded an old laptop for it.

If I was going to go out and buy a new setup. Independent of brands what are the feature and things i should be aware of or look for, and how do you match that against arrow selection. Weight of pull is not an issue and I can draw anything I have seen in the stores.

I don't know squat about the new bows, I know how to use it and shoot it enought to hit a target, but I really don't know more than just the primitive basics.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Back