AR10 243 or 22-250 build

CritterGtr

So as of next week I am planning of starting an Ar10 in either a 243 or a 22-250. I figured I would write this up to see if any others have already gone through this and have some tips and or advise. This gun will be primarily used for Coyotes!! I have no desire to hear buy a 204 or some other gun, I have all those! I kill more dogs and hunt more avidly than I do drink beer and that's a crazy amount. I just am tossed on the pros and cons. I know the 243 will function and feed perfect, [beeep] concerned about the 22-250 but all the research seems to be Mag issues. I do not shoot heavy bullets, so lets move past that conversation of a Positive of the 243. I absolutely love the 52-53 grain hollow points in 22 cal for dogs and for a 243 well I know it will probably destroy pelts but I promise I will find a fur friendly load. Thinking of the 55 grain soft point or a 60 grain hollow point out of the 243. you may be thinking I already decided on the 243 and I kinda have, but if there is better evidence I may convert also I love the 22-250 not more than my 17 Remington but I do love it. NOW!!!

The Plan

Arrow Precision upper and lower
Deadshot Barrels, 22inch maybe a 24 but totally unsure
trigger TBD
Target crown not treaded
Stardard BCG
Adjustable gas block
vortex scope

So I hear DeadShot is using Green Mountain barrels. Good or Bad?

I do not want to spend 450 plus on a barrel and im not looking to get a barrel maker to completely make a custom barrel for this build.

So I'm looking for a company that has them in production and has them readily available.

I want this thing to drive tacks if I do my part in the reloading and the shooting, and I do also like the thought of the versatility of the 243. Owing a 22-250 in an AR platform would be amazing and probably have the time of my life, but what does one do flip a coin?

thanks guys!!

PS this may be my first post but if there was a counter for forums read! I'm your Guy!!!

So many more varmint/coyote bullets available in the 55 to 87 grain range in 6mm. Im guessing a 243 barrel is easier to find as well. With that much case capacity you might as well have the option of slinging the bigger varmint style bullets to be assured you can find the majic combo especially in a non custom barrel. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I agree totally with you! See I own a lot of guns but this will be a surprise but I do not own a 243. I have read so much about what people say about pelt damage with it and others say they have a load that works great. So I have concluded the ones with pelt damage have not put in the time in the load or the shot placement is wrong. with that being said there is a ton of options in bullet weight and design that it can be figured out if the effort is put in. Plus that's is the fun part of a new round. Gives me a reason to do some extra stands and trips to the range.

call mike at DTI and get him to do a WSSM for you. that way you get to use an AR 15 with the parts you like, but with the power of an AR 10. I always thought the WSSM's were kinda hokie in the AR 15 but. WSSM brass is very much still out there, they really don't change that many parts to make them. imagine 55 NBT's from an AR 15, running a honest to god 4 grand?!?! coyote death hammer.

I own an AR10 in 243win. My upper is 20in from the old Bushmaster group before it was sold.
Geissele 3-gun trigger in a DPMS lower. Brownells sale price $125 for the lower.
I have a Specwar 7,62 for a can. It loves Remington 100gr soft points.

Originally Posted By: CritterGtr So I have concluded the ones with pelt damage have not put in the time in the load or the shot placement is wrong.

That's one way of looking at it. Could be right, too. I guess.

I tend to look at it the other way though. As in, the ones without pelt damage, just haven't actually killed many yet and don't actually even know, one way or the other.

Between my Dad when he was alive and my calling partner, I've seen well over 500 coyotes killed before my eyes with .243's. They just ain't fur friendly.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAOriginally Posted By: CritterGtr So I have concluded the ones with pelt damage have not put in the time in the load or the shot placement is wrong.

That's one way of looking at it. Could be right, too. I guess.

I tend to look at it the other way though. As in, the ones without pelt damage, just haven't actually killed many yet and don't actually even know, one way or the other.

Between my Dad when he was alive and my calling partner, I've seen well over 500 coyotes killed before my eyes with .243's. They just ain't fur friendly.

- DAA

a dead coyote that does not require finishing shots is better than one that gets blownup with subsequent shots, which often times for me turns into 2 or 3 extra shots, as the coyote is jumping around and filled with adrenaline. I hate extra shots going off on stand. pelt damage is over rated. I pelted out a few coyotes in my early days of calling. 3-4 is all I really care to keep around as decorations.

a 243 is smack down on coyotes. another thing over rated, shot placement! I don't care who you are. you are going to hit a fair number of coyotes badly if you shoot very many. a dead coyote is all I care about, preferably with one shot AND right where they stood. switching to a 6DTI this year just to help with this. it will be interesting what I see in the field.

Those are some great points! I do like the fact of the 243 being a hammer! As a 17 Remington fan that’s why I use that gun specifically. I do believe in shot placement, yes some times it’s difficult to have that option on a stand. Although shoulder shots have proved to be not a guarantee unlike a diaphragm shot. Just my opinion though. As for being pelt friendly I do not save every dog, because only so often you have a dog you go WOW the color on this one is amazing! And during that moment I will wish I had found a load that my chances are better than not that I don’t cut the dog in half! Which normally I would be totally ok with. So I feel like I will go with th 243! Anyone have expierence with Deadshot Barrels? Or Green Mountain SS AR barrels? And this may be a dumb question. On triggers. But I want a light crisp no travel single stage. Suggestions on which brand?

I have a Green Mountain barrel on my 300 Black out and I would buy another. It shoots really accurately for a 9.5" pistol. I don't know if they make an AR10 barrel, but I'd buy one, if they do...

243 gets my vote.

...but if you are looking to get something you do not already have I would also look at the 6x6.8 or 6mm dti. I am shooting 58s at 3600 fps and it levels them.

If I’m carrying the weight of an AR-10/LR308, then I want more bullet than a 22-250 will push.

My latest AR-10 was a 6 creed. My next likely will be another.

Weight is a concern. Add another 100$ to flute! Is it worth it? I mean in the end is a 13 lb Simi auto going to be the go to gun? That’s the decisions I’m now sitting on! It’s starting to turn into the show piece upward of 1500$ and would it be the first one that comes out of the safe? Now that’s the real question lol!!

Everyone is different, but if weight is a concern, forget your ar10 dreams and go another way. I've been there, done that, and they shoot well and are fun, but now I'd rather have an oddball round in an ar15 that meets or comes close to the same performance. And in the case of my Dtech 243 Wssm, it meets or exceeds a 243 Win. And it's stupid accurate, and you could have an upper for less than that $1500.

I will admit, I don't shoot it a ton though. I've burned up enough 243's to know it can and does happen, and I save this for serious hunting, windy days, etc. I have a pair of 6mm Grendels, 6.5 necked down to 6, that get a lot more use, just because I think the barrel life is very high. One has probably 1800 rounds and the bore still looks good in the scope. They give up 300+ fps to the Wssm but are coyote hammers just the same.

Originally Posted By: CritterGtrWeight is a concern. Add another 100$ to flute! Is it worth it? I mean in the end is a 13 lb Simi auto going to be the go to gun? That’s the decisions I’m now sitting on! It’s starting to turn into the show piece upward of 1500$ and would it be the first one that comes out of the safe? Now that’s the real question lol!!

Right! Any large framed AR tends to get pricey. Components are about double ar-15

Just throwing in my two cents,but have you ever thought about a 22 Nosler? Ballistically it looks very close to the 22-250 with the same grain bullet. Plus it runs in an AR15. I have a couple buddies that are shooting this round and they are very impressed with it so far.

Back