AR Wildcat Round 25 Souper Build

KAG

As the complete lid has been torn off the AR platform and people are doing so much with it I just want to throw this out there. Its not talked about much but a 25-08 or 25 Souper in an AR platform. Seems like it would be easy enough for one of the good smiths around to produce. Would love to get one made if it did not break the bank as I truly have a thing for the quarter bore.

I included one of links I have found on the round.

http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_files/25-308.htm

Last edited:
I too am a big fan of the .25 bore, but.... Why not just go with a .25 wssm? AR-15 platform lighter and cheaper than the AR-10, no fire forming or necking down process and better ballistics. Master Dtech has what you want without the extra cost of tooling, reamer, and specialty dies. To each his own, but other than the cool factor, what your looking for already exists with extra horse power. If you do decide to build one I'd love to hear a range report to see how it performs. Best of luck.

He obviously has a thing for the 25-08, and the 25 WSSM does have issues, like the quality, availabilty and price of brass for one. I could list several reasons not to get a 25 WSSM, but that is not what he posted about and I won't debate it in this thread. And you can make the AR-10 platform comparable in weight.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

I think the 25 necked down in a 308 case would be a solid performer much like the 6mm bullet is in the 243 win. I just think it would be a good fit for an AR style platform. Plus ease of reloading and component availability is a plus. I would imagine it would solid performer for predator hunting using 75-90gr bullets. Might have to break down get some decent load software just for informational use.

Just thought it would be something outside the box from what normally is discussed and I could actually pick the minds of some guys that know about this sort of thing.

Well after lots of calls and emails....you have no idea how many gunsmiths said the same thing, "I am not set up to do this sort of thing".

I found a guy in Idaho that likes the idea of the project. He made a couple of very good suggestions one of them was buying a R25 or other AR already produced off of the 308 round then pulling the barrel off. Getting a 25cal blank from Oly. I sourced a reamer so it looks like this going to happen.

Still think a 243 is a great round and a 260 is a great round so I have no doubt that a 25cal would be just as good on predators. Plus all of the components will be easy to source and even easier to reload for. The more I read on the 25 Souper and how the ballistics are the same as a 250AI the more I think this will be a winner in the AR platform.

I say "do it", just to say you did it. But your project ain't gonna do anything that a 25Wizzer won't do...

And there ain't no way you are getting an AR-10 based platform built lighter (or cheaper) than an AR-15 based .25Wizzer...

Bullmastiff, what issues have YOU had with your .25Wizzer AR-15 to qualify your statements above? I've only shot a little over 1K rounds through mine, so maybe you know something that I don't?

You could PM your issues to me, if you prefer...

Originally Posted By: knockemdown
And there ain't no way you are getting an AR-10 based platform built lighter (or cheaper) than an AR-15 based .25Wizzer...

+1

I like my 7mm-08 AR-10, but lightweight and inexpensive it is not.

That being said, everyone has a 25WSSM Dtech, not many have a 7mm-08 Dtech.
laugh.gif

I have an AR 10 in 25 souper along with .243, 260, 7mm-08, and .308. I'm sure there are alot of arguements that can be made about all this rounds, but I can tell you my 25 souper will flate out shoot. It has little recoil and it very arcurate. I am able to put a 5 shot group within a nickel with a 100 BT nosler. It may cost some change to have this round, but if it somthing you want I think you will be more than happy with it. Oh buy the way it is based off gods round the .308 so how could it ever be compared to any other 25 cal round.

I'm glad you revived this old thread, bishman. I was just thinking of this the other day, wondering if anyone has ever done it.

We need pics of your AR10. How heavy is it, is it something you would take hunting on a regular basis? I just acquired an DPMS AR10 in 300 Rem Saum, and it is heavy, but it shoots so well I just love it. It is an absolute hammer! So now I can think of other uppers for the platform, and 25 souper would be sweet, and you'd never see another one in the woods, that's for sure.

Send those pics!

I have ordered the reamers....waiting and waiting......I did get busy on the 25x45 build and it went to the back of the bus. But now that I have the 25x45 built and shooting it is back on the front burner....if you ever wanted to sell that AR10 in 25 souper let me 1st please

I've no sure of its exact weight. It has a 26 inch fluted barrel on it. The barrel is a krieger. The weight is not a concern for me because of the way I hunt. I would take it hunting all the time if it wasn't for the fact of all the other rounds I have to choose from. I am a .308 nut. I grew up hunting with a .243 and as I grew older I got into that phase where I thought I need to hunt with calibers like a 7mm mag and all that crap. When I grew up I thought to myself I have kid alot of deer with a .243 and non of them ever ran on me. So I hunt with everything I have based off of it. I have not shot a deer yet with my souper because I have only had it for about half a year. It shoots nice. A person could be behind it all day long and feel no pain. I'm new at this and I read these forums for years dreaming of having a souper. Them I dreamed it up in my head I was going to have one on an ar platform and let me tell you it was worth everypenny. Let me know how to post pics I never done it and I will get it done. If you want to know who built it for me let me know.

ar 15, the 6mm DTI and 25 DTI is based on the 6.8 case. several guys on this forum has them and i've never heard any complaints with anything that ends in DTI

I'm curious as to whether the new AR-15 that Olympic Arms
built a while ago in 22-250 would be long enough for the 25-08 or 25 Souper case. Does anyone know?

(For those who don't know; yes they DO have one in 22-250...they lengthened out the AR-15 mag well area, and made new magazines for it. I have held one).

I love my DTech in 25 WSSM, but I DON'T like the brass.

Back