AR 15 Varmint build??

RedboneRunner

So im working on a ar 15 build right now and im wanting it to be a pretty much strictly varmint gun. Everything from woodchucks to coyotes. I have been thinking about getting a 204 ruger but have never shot that caliber and don't kknow much about it. Any advice would be great.

Curious to hear opinions on this as well. I am also looking to go the 204 route for my next AR. Been thinking about trying to find a Rock River upper or ordering a DPMS or Model 1 upper. Just can't decide.

I was in the same boat. I had a RRA predator pursuit upper in 223 but wasn't thrilled with the ballistics out past 200 yards. So I just finished building my own 204 ruger upper. It's a DPMS 24" barrel that I bought from Brownells, AP customs carbon fiber hand guard, joebobs upper and BCG, badger latch charging handle. I've got right around $600 in parts on just the upper, but it has all the things exactly how I wanted. Shoots very good, but i haven't had the chance to put any fur down with it.

My own builds are .223s and I have no issue to 400 yards with it for everything.
There is a 204 upper in the FS forums...get it while you can.

The 204 is an excellent caliber and inherently accurate. It is a barrel burner and you can cook the throat easily if you aren't careful, especially running it in a semi action. Be sure and match the twist rate with the bullet weight you intend to shoot.

The .204 is only hard on chamber throats when you push the bullets at or over the 4000fps speeds...

I've had three over the years (still have two) and as long as I keep my rounds under the normal velocity envelope I've never had a problem with throat erosion...I reload for accuracy more than speed and mine still shoot like a laser...'Hot' loads not only increase the potential for damage, but also tend to shorten brass life as the primer pockets tend to get looser, much quicker..

If you go over to the .204Ruger forum, you will find a variety of experiences with the .204, most good, some bad, but the bad ones usually also exhibit the reasons for their problems..

I just finished up a .204 build that I've been waiting to do for a long time. BHW had shot show special going on so snagged me a 23" standard profile 1-10 twist. Knowing them and having one of their 6x45 barrels, should shoot lights out. Just need to find some glass for it...

im in the same boat as you and looking for a varmint only ar build. sold my 17hmr and supplies off and started gathering parts for the build. ordered an 18" Krieger 1 in 7.7 match chamber for 77smk's in magazine length, barrel is close to being done. I was considering 204 also but 556/223 brass is the most plentiful, cheaper and easier to find.

kyle

Why not build a 6 WOA?

I'm in the same Conundrum I wanting to build another AR, was thinking in a 204 or 6mm DTI, but I keep hearing about the 6 WOA. I think that 6 mm will be a better choice special during windy condition, not to mention bullets choice and the ballistic superiority(BC) of the 6mm pills.

How about a 22X6.8 Blackhole Weaponry has the barrels. If you reload you just take a 6.8 case and neck it down in 3 steps and you are set to go.
This is my next upper.

Originally Posted By: EzbagrHow about a 22X6.8 Blackhole Weaponry has the barrels. If you reload you just take a 6.8 case and neck it down in 3 steps and you are set to go.
This is my next upper. Ain't that the same as a 22DTI?

Originally Posted By: AllstarOriginally Posted By: EzbagrHow about a 22X6.8 Blackhole Weaponry has the barrels. If you reload you just take a 6.8 case and neck it down in 3 steps and you are set to go.

Don`t really know. I am not familiar with the 22DTI. Guess I will have to check it out.

Originally Posted By: EzbagrOriginally Posted By: AllstarOriginally Posted By: EzbagrHow about a 22X6.8 Blackhole Weaponry has the barrels. If you reload you just take a 6.8 case and neck it down in 3 steps and you are set to go.

Don`t really know. I am not familiar with the 22DTI. Guess I will have to check it out.
In the end they are pretty close in speed it dont matter which one you get. I built the 6x6.8 as I like 6mms and bullet/speeds are the tops when it comes to deer/sized game. I didnt have to wait 13 mos (worth it for a DTI though) either as BHW has bbls within 12 weeks to you. The 6WOA is more suited for longer/heavier 6mm bullets and the case is a bit shorter for said long bullets.

I also have a 6x6.8 and as far as reloading goes: when using the redding type s fl bushing die the only extra step needed is an intermediate bushing to step the neck down part way, then swap the bushing for the final size and run through die once more and your done. This only applies to virgin brass though as once they have been sized down all that is needed is the one bushing.

They are easy to load for and dang accurate. I have several bullets that shoot very well and I have not done much load work.

ETA: If you want to go with a traditional style FL die, I believe CH4D has already made some for the 6.5x6.8 version and I would assume it would be no problem to make them for the 6mm.

Last edited:
Back