AR-15 Questions

Ursus21

I'm not sure whether to post this here or in Firearms and Reloading, but since my question center around hunting, I'll post here. However, I'm hoping to draw on the expertise of the AR-15 "type" rifle users.

I am considering picking up an AR-15 type of rifle chamber in .223 for predator hunting, with the majority of those predators being coyotes. I have hunted for many years and always used bolt actions for anything bigger than a rabbit, but it just seems there are times when a quick second or third shot would be real handy when a group of coyotes comes in. I want to know what the pluses and minuses are in using this type of rifle for hunting?

Also there seems to be a never ending list of choices. Used AR-15's for around $600.00, Bushmasters for over a grand, and I see Remington jumping in the game with a good looking rifle they call the R-15 for $1000.00. Right now I'm leaning towards the R-15 is there any reason not to?

Take a look at Rock River also. I shoot one and I have to say it is the most acurate rifle I own. I am able to shoot one jagged hole at 100 yds with five rounds with the 16" r4 profile barrel. The RR also comes with a 2 stage match trigger and a hogue grip. It also comes with a lifetime warranty. Look on the website and look for a dealer near you, because sometimes they have better deals than what is on the website.

I had never even considered the AR platform until last year. The AR IS a diferent beast than a bolt rifle. A single stage trigger will make you feel more at home. The high end AR's are extremely accurate and the run of the mill rifles will probably shoot with most bolts from what I've read. The only drawback I've noticed is that they are a little noisier to handle than a bolt. This also takes a little getting used to so you can minimize the sound. They also are more difficult to clear than a bolt so if you move stand-to-stand primarily from a vehicle, it makes a difference. Overall, I love the switch to the AR.

The Remington looks like a great rifle. My only thought for you is that if you are as anal as I am about accuracy, you might want to wait to see some range reports before buying the R15. They will no doubt be accurate enough for calling. We just don't know how accurate. Good luck.

Sorry about the BRD but there are worse things you could have. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

I have a colt and love it, my buddy has the bushmaster varminter and he loves it. They are pretty much the exact same gun. They are awsome for critter hunting, low maitenance,quick 2nd 3rd and 30th follow up shot,and very acurate. I like reminghton guns but I am personally not one that likes the first model of anything I like them to work the kinks out. And colt has been around forever. Dont know if it helps but Im sure you will love whatever you end up getting.

I am definitely an accuracy freak. If it's not accurate I'm not even remotely interested. The Remington was however designed in part by Byron South and "I think" Bushmaster. I can't imagine it having lousy accuracy with those two names involved. I doubt it has many bugs either as it's more or less a Bushmaster with Remington stamped on it, but I guess there is always a chance. Bottom line though, I really don't want to go over $1000.00. So I guess I should rephrase my question and ask: What is the best and most accurate AR-15 type rifle I can get for $1000.00?

A friend saw the Remington at the SHOT show and said it had Bushmaster stamped on it. Same parent company now owns Bushmaster and Remington. The R-15 is built in N.C.

The new remington R-15 is made by bushmaster. I would start with colt,DPMS,DoubleStar INC.,Bushmaster and would stay away from anything in a OlympicArms or something put together by a backyard gunsmith. Most of your quality AR's will shoot a 1 to 1 1/2 moa. at a hundred yards. Just make sure you get the rifle twist to match the type ammo you wish to use.

They're all good. I have this one http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_military_MCWA3F16.asp and took the A3 handle off and installed a Bushnell 3200 elite in 2x7x32. Using Hornady V-max 55 grain ammo I can conistantly get under 1" groups (more like 3/4") at 100 yards over and over. I bought the rifle new for $900. I'm looking into also getting the BM Predator or the new R-15 when it comes out in about a month.

It's a never ending argument over which one is "best". Best is always the one the guy telling the story owns. Spend as much as you can afford comfortably and you'll get what you pay for. Don't be afraid to look for a "gently used" rifle either. Saving a couple hundred bucks on the rifle gives you more budget for putting good optics on it....which is the other half of the equation.

Guys, I appreciate the comments and advice. Since I'm fairly new here most folks don't know that I am an avid hunter and rifle fanatic. I am very familiar with bolt action rifles and try to always eek out the most accuracy as possible. I do not currently own a bolt action rifle that hasn't been customized to some degree. Some are full blown custom rifles and some are just trigger tunes and actions bedded, but all have been tweaked. I fully understand and appreciate the comment about "good optics" as being the other half of the equation. What I am not is familiar with AR-15's. I have only shot a couple, never owned one, and haven't really hung out with anyone that shoots them regularly. I didn't like the trigger on the couple I did shoot, but I have never shot anything like Rock River or Bushmaster rifles with what I understand are good triggers.

Having shot quite a few varmits/predators it just seems like an AR-15 type rifle would be very practical provided it is accurate and has a good single stage trigger. Hence, my reason for looking into them.

jumprightinit, I've seen that thread and the prices certainly are low. I just keep wondering though, if it's a smart buy or not? Anyone have an opinion on those $570 AR's?

I've hunted most of my life - and that's quite a number of years, but I can honestly say that I've had more enjoyment hunting with my ARs in the last three years than any of the others. Not to say that the other years weren't great, they were, but there just seems to be something special about doing it with an AR.

I will take it over my bolts/levers anytime.
Several plus's for me.

I can carry one 30 rnd mag IN THE WEAPON, and never have to pack extra ammo with me. We have no restrictions on Coyote (non game) hunting, nor state restrictions on mag size.

I shoot better with it than my other rifles.

The customization possibilities are endless, to the point it becomes over whelming!

You can put one together start to finish yourself and save on the base unit and have more left over for top end optics or other things to hang on them!

You can field strip one in a heart beat.

So simple and reliable its unreal.

You can set it up to have both scoped optics AND iron sites.

Follow up shots are, well pretty darn quick! Say 30 rds in 20 seconds or less. Well I guess thats more for the range than hunting, and at the cost of ammo even reloading, you only do that about once!

I have no fear of scratching or denting a wood stock.

Can be had in many calibers that will take larger/smaller game. Most of which only require a different upper/mag, you use the same lower.

Cleaning is a whole lot easier.

Those are my thoughts/.02 cents.

One draw back that comes to mind....
They are addicting! One is never enough.
Rick H...

i just bought an dpms lower and put together an upper because i like the stainless look without the weight of a bull or varmint they call it.i like it except how loud it is. any comments on this. the barrel is 16in with a crown end 1in 9 twist.

If you plan on hunting varmints (pd's and such) then I would look to a 1:9 twist barrel from 16" to ? Want it scoped? Preditor hunting you may want to shoot heavier/longer bullets. I shoot a Bushmaster Predator/ 4x16-40mm scope, it has a 1:8 twist barrel, and I consider this rifle to reach out accuratly to 600 yds + with heavier 223 loads. It still does a excellant job with lighter bullets. I am in my 60's so the eyes need help there fore the scopes. As always you will end up with what you pay for.
Jim

Back