AR-15 "Jamming up"?

Rustydust:

You should be just fine and will probably not have any problems. For PM member hunting scenarios, most malfunctions will be magazine related.

As an Infantry Platoon Leader and Infantry Company XO, I have witnessed similar malfunction numbers as Yotekyllr. His explanation is not exaggeration and is spot on with my own Light Infantry experience. I supervised the arms room, as the XO, and I was certified by the Army as a Unit Armorer. I saw the good and bad, when it comes to small arms. There certainly was/is good reason for the M16 immediate action drill (tap-pull-tap or SPORTS).

Yotekyllr makes the correct distinction with this quote, which is certainly applicable to hunting...
Quote:
I will without a doubt admit that they have much newer and less used equiptment than a typical light infantry unit.

So Rustydust, unless you are fixin' to "ruck-up" and move to contact, you will be just fine! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Redhound80

Last edited:
Speaking from my past experiencecs, if an AR15 is jamming, it's an individual problem, not a collective one. There is nothing wrong with the design, some tuning was necessary in the early days, but these issues have been R&D'd out of the rifle. Besides, they're like Barbie, you can dress 'em for the beach, for hunting, or just that special social occasion.

I had a problems in the beganing with my new build.The mags. would not feed that great.Broke the mags down an put some oil in them an whiped them down.No more problem!!!

In my 3 years of shooting the M16 in the Army I never had a single jam firing ball ammo. Thousands of rounds. We got to fire off a sh** ton of extra ammo before deploying to Iraq. 1000 rounds through my rifle as fast as I could squeeze the trigger.(Mags were loaded for us as we shot) I have never in my life felt a rifle get so hot. The trigger burnt my trigger finger and you couldnt even hold the handguards. The carbon build up was crazy but it just kept firing. Possibly the happiest moment of my life!

Blanks on the other hand were a pain in the butt. The crimped edges sometimes caught and wouldn't feed. We made our own blanks in Iraq as there wasn't any around. Why, you say? Memorial services.

I've seen many jams on the firing line though. I'm guessing most were due to improper maintnence, cleaning, and riding the charging handle. Also TOO MUCH LUBE! too much CLP will attract dirt and carbon like a magnet. Bolt carriers would get stuck without fully seating the round. Tap the forward assist and no prob.

The worst jamming rifles in my opinion are the new WSSM bolt actions. At least any rifle made by winchester. My buddies 243wssm Model 70 won't feed a whole mag without problems. At least when cycling the bolt fast(hunting speed,not bench).

Currently have 5 AR's in different configurations including a match rifle, a competition bred service rifle, a 16" shorty, a 20" coyote rifle and a 24" varmint rifle. Only problem I ever had was with a new barrel extension. It had a burr on it that would catch the case as it fed into the chamber. A Dremmel fixed it in about 10 seconds. I have found them to be very reliable. Nothing like hearing a rapid fire string fired by 25 Ar's at the same time.

Fast Ed

This is a AR-15 Jamming post.Ok.Only thing I will say and add is the original M-16 did in fact have a jamming problem.Yes the military did know about it but unfortunately it took several casualities in combat situations in Viet Nam for the US to correct and address the problem.Thus the M-16 A1 was born.Minor defect but it cost lives!! Yea I had one of the jamming SOBs.You never read about this stuff.

Back