AR 15 in Oregon-question

Quote:
"Therefore these animals have no closed season, bag limit or weapons restriction. "

I just looked through the 2007 regulations and did a PDF search; that statement doesn't appear in the regulations. It does say, as previously mentioned, that yotes are predatory animals "610.002 "Predatory animals" defined. As used in this chapter, "predatory animal" or "predatory animals" includes feral swine as defined by State Department of Agriculture rule, coyotes, rabbits, rodents and birds that are or may be destructive to agricultural crops, products and activities, but excluding game birds and other birds determined by the State Fish and Wildlife Commission to be in need of protection. [1959 c.240 §2; 1971 c.658 §29; 1977 c.136 §4; subsection (2) of 610.002 renumbered 610.003; 1979 c.399 §2; 2001 c.125 §2]", but it doesn't say you can use high capacity magazines on them.

While the regulations might help as a defense, a quote off a website (even the ODFW website) might not hold up as well in court. Perhaps we ought to stay with 5-round mags and be safe rather than sorry?

Quote:
Perhaps we ought to stay with 5-round mags and be safe rather than sorry?

I hunt Eastern Oregon a bit, and I'll be carrying my AR with the 20-round mags or the 10/22 with the banana clips. Deer or elk hunting I carry my H-K with 3 round magazines to be legal. That's how I interpret the law. I won't be getting my truck or rifle confiscated. Wish me luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hi All.

Just found and joined the site today and was pretty interested when I came across this thread. I had a similar concern, as we do an annual jackrabbit hunt, using ARs (Fun times!). I had read the regs., specifically the part about "Therefore these animals have no closed season, bag limit or weapons restriction", and pretty much came to the same conclusion. Just to be safe though I called the ODFW main office (who confirmed NO weapons restrictions) as well as the regional biologist who covers Fort Rock/Christmas Valley. In questioning him about weapons restrictions, he just chuckled and said, "Heck, we don't care if you use a flame-thrower!"

Granted, he's not an LEO, but as a rep. for ODFW, I think he reflected the bottom line for varmint/predator weapon restrictions.

I grew up huting anything that moved in NE Oregon. Ive never been stopped, questioned, looked at or even noticed while hunting anything. I also tend to use common sense and obey the law the best I can. As for the firearms issue, all my guns are loaded. No matter if they are on my side, on my seat, in my pu window or in my gunsafe. Just the way I am, and I have never had any problems. My $.02.

Now I am curious as to why their rules arent clearly defined. I have never seen the section quoted above, but am sitting in front of the 2008 regs that CLEARLY state otherwise (under unprotected mammals and birds in the definitions). If this is the case and it is infact legal, dont you think that they could spend some of our hard earned tax dollars, or tag/permit fees to write a fricking regulation book that was correct, clear, and consice? RRRRRR, makes me mad!

Game laws in many states are some of the most poorly written rules to be found anywhere. A lot of contradictions and incompatabilities.

Jack

Last edited:
Back