AR-15 Barrel Length?

I'm currenlty shooting a 20", loaded with 55 gr v-max and 26.0 gr of varget. I put a new leupold on it last weekend, sighted it in and shot 5, 5 shot groups. Largest group was .730, smallest .610.

I have an AR I built myself. I have a mega machine lower, and then ordred a complete upper from del-ton.com. 20" 1-9" wilson barrel, flat top, float tube and gas block. I don't think it is anything particulary special but this one does shoot really well. This is my first AR so don't know if the accuracy is typical or not. I also have a buddy with a 20" he built himself on a rock river lower with an oly sum barrel that shoots one hole groups.

I've got a 16" bushmaster, I just love the rifle. But, if it wasn't just so darn handy as my truck gun, I would probably opt for a 20" bbl.

Here is mine. It is a 20" but I am selling it because I am trying to fund my Recce project. This one will shoot in the .40's with 25.8gr of Varget behind a 60gr VMAX. Not to shabby. Shorter guns normally have a flash hider on them and that will increase the volume alot. The way I fixed that problem is by getting a suppressor. Much better. The bottom pic is the lower with the new paint job. I will have more when I finish my new upper and I paint it to match.
NXS_0176.jpg

NXS_0174.jpg

100_0912.jpg

100_0413.jpg

I like my 16" Oly. Easy to carry and If I do my part its shoots less than 1" at 100 yards all day. If I dont shake to much they will cloverleaf 3 shots at 100. Its loud but so is my 44, shotgun and all my others so oh well!

Quote:
Does the barrel of the Bushmaster BCWA3F 16 get thinner under the handguard or is it the same diameter from receiver?

bcwa3f16.jpg

Should be heavy (i.e. about .950" compared to .720 in front of the FSB).

The patrolmans carbine, M4-type with Izzy FH, and the super-lights are light under the handguards, not the BCWA3F16.

WIZZO

I just built my first AR a month or so ago. So far I am very impressed. I used a Stag Arms stripped lower, RBprecision lower parts kit, a Rock River 6 positon stock, and a Stag Arms 16" flat top upper with a ARMS #40A2 BUIS. I have yet to make it out after coyotes. I have taken it to the range a few times, and so far no prob what so ever. I popped my load into a balistic calculator and came up with the trajectory listed on the pic.

I know shooting at 25 yards is not the same as shooting at 100, but it's all I had access to at the time. I have since taken it out and confirmed the zero at 50 yards.

MyNewtoy.jpg

100_0118.jpg

CopyofAfiveshot25yardgroup2.jpg

Gunner45 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

You guys have some nice guns. I wish I could build but my first AR is going to be purchased via gift certificates and store credit at Sportsman's Warehouse and the Bushmaster BCWA3F 16 is in my price range. I like the V-match 20" too but would have to go in another couple hundy to get sights. I figure I can shoot with irons for awhile and then get optics later.

Quote:
I figure I can shoot with irons for awhile and then get optics later.

That's the best thing you can do with an AR in my opinion.

WIZZO

Quote:
Quote:
I figure I can shoot with irons for awhile and then get optics later.

That's the best thing you can do with an AR in my opinion.

WIZZO

+1
Look at the 16" VMATCH from Bushy. Hard to beat for the money. Start with a good platform. Things like triggers and hanguards and stocks can be replaced. Get the barrel length,twist,style(SS,Chrome,Chrome Moly)and profile you want and get some decent irons from YHM and lern it. With irons you should be good on yotes. Just keep shopping around for a used Leupy or somthing. All the fancy equipment in the world does not take the place of trigger time. Good luck.

Look at the 16" VMATCH from Bushy. Hard to beat for the money.

Steve: Great suggestion. It is done . . . the coyotes have met their match. V MATCH!! Picked up a Bushmaster 16" VMATCH this morning. Now I need to have a garage sale so I can get some optics on this bad-boy. I am ready to peel some caps on some coyotes.

I have a 24" Krieger on mine. I only have one lower so it has to be installed on my service rifle lower which has weights in the butt. The 24" balances nicer than a shorter barrel would with this lower. I don't consider the extra weight of the barrel a big deal. That much weight could be accounted for by taking a better dump in the morning of the hunt or cleaning out the backpack and only taking the stuff you need instead of all the stuff that has collected in there over time. What's a pound or two among friends. My "heavy" rifle stays put when I shoot it and doesn't blow out my eardrums. I don't think, however, that a 16" or 20" barrel is a bad thing. Balance is most important. Not the actual length of the barrel.

Fast Ed

I maybe the oddball on here but I have a Les Baer that I bought used a while back. When I bought it the bore was worn smooth out...the owner was using it in High-power matches and it had something like 5000 down the tube. I ordered a Kreiger AR VARMATCH. The rate is 7.7 cut down to 28." I love this little gun for calling. It's about the only thing I carry anymore. I wish I had a digital camera to take some pics of it. It's the first rifle besides a bolt I've ever messed with.....I'm kinda proud of it I guess. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Gari

Quote:

Look at the 16" VMATCH from Bushy. Hard to beat for the money.

Steve: Great suggestion. It is done . . . the coyotes have met their match. V MATCH!! Picked up a Bushmaster 16" VMATCH this morning. Now I need to have a garage sale so I can get some optics on this bad-boy. I am ready to peel some caps on some coyotes.

You will like it. You will really like it after a day of hunting and carrying it all day. Good luck and let us know how it does.

Man I can't put it down. I keep posing with it in the bathroom mirror. My wife is thoroughly annoyed. I may have even called out “V Match” in my sleep last night. The 16” barrel is .980" diameter at the chamber tapering to .950" under the handguard then .850" just behind the handguard cap, .750" Perfect balance for a walking/call gun.

I just ordered an Armalite one-piece scope mount EX0027 for it. It might be a bit before I can get a scope, but I am real excited.

I recently saw a poll which asked nearly 100 ar enthusiasts that question.The 20" barrel was by-far the preferred length.

Quote:
The 20" . . .was by-far the preferred length.

That's what she said. Where did you say you saw this "pole"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I was leaning toward the 20" in the begining but after checking them out, reading here and AR15.com I thought the 16" would be cool for a coyote/assault gun. I will keep the longer barrels on my bolt guns for now and definately consider a 20" in the future.

Back