Appropriately named- Model 70 Coyote

A young friend was going on his first dedicated coyote hunt and borrowed my Winchester Model 70 Coyote in .243 Win for his hunt. Needless to say, he made the right choice. Topped with a Riton Optics 1 Primal 4-12X50 MOA reticle, he managed to take 2 West TX coyotes on a dry, hot, windy, dust-blowing everywhere Saturday. I ran the bullet drops for him, and shooting Winchester 55gr BST at 4025 fps he only had a 5.6 MOA drop. The issue was the 25-30 MPH wind and all the dust particles in the air. Both coyotes were dropped around 200 yards and 2 were missed out past 400. Needless to say, he is hooked on predator hunting and can't wait to give it a try in Janurary!

Very generous of you to lend your rifle, but if that is what it takes to get a youngster interested in a great sport, then by all means! I recently discovered the Riton scopes (same as yours different reticle) and have found them to serve my needs well. I can relate to the same weather conditions here in southeast Oklahoma. Stay after them critters!

Coyotes around Central WA hole up in much wind, I guess in winder parts of Texas, you are hungry? Then you gotta hustle all the time, Wind or not!

Great you got another coyote hunter launched!

Three44s

I find that equipment is one obstacle for someone trying to get into the sport. I have spares of everything. In fact just this weekend I actually ran short of gear trying to help some new predator hunters...guess I'll just have to buy another suppressor...darn...

Back