Anyone use a Remington 788 in 22-250

here it is... it was a mess when I got it

801642_01_reington_788_in_22_250_for__640.jpg

I had to. the previous owner beat the butt stock to death and used to learn to carve on. had to cut the stock 1.5" and fit a replacement butt plate. also had to sand out the maroon finernail paint from the cuts they made and fill it, but it absorbed more of the american walnut stain that i had liked it to have so its quite obvious.

Created this account for this reason here. (And I enjoy reading what other predator hunters have to say) I am doing some gun swapping with my step dad (who at one time had the whole 788 collection) and I am getting the .22-250. Pulled it out of the safe and shot a 1.5 inch group and 100 yards. (55 grain Hornady V-max). Personally o don't like the group I shot. So to restart this particular thread, I know this gun is a legendary tack driver, what bullets do they like... According to a few guys I've spoke with, they've said it likes 50 grain hollow points and one ol boy said the cheaper ammo works best. Any other guys out there happen to have luck with any particular ammo?

I have 6 different 788's. My 22-250 like the rest are good shooters. My 250 is the least temperamental of them all. It has shot all factory loads and hand loads into tiny groups. The Winchester 45 gr. white box loads are every bit as accurate as my best hand loads, and I have heard several other members say the same.

I have had several over the years. Some know that the 788 has the fastest lock time of any factory firearm.

The barrel tenon is very long on the 788, and if you look at the barrel out of the stock, it is not a whippy barrel at all.

I have had 4. Everyone of them were a tack driver. I usually shot a 55g Sierra lead tip blitz with about 34g of IMR 4895 and a federal primer, this load is NOT fur friendly,22/250 of course.

You can re spring the trigger and it will help tremendously on the trigger pull.

Check the crown for dings, float the barrel, bed, tweek trigger, you will have what shoots like a custom rifle in many cases.

I called my last one old ugly, but it killed like a laser beam!

Back