Anyone shooting 75gr Vmax in .243?

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunOriginally Posted By: baltz52675gr Vmax, 39gr varget, remington 9 1/2M primers, OAL 2.645". This is the most accurate bullet/load I have found for the mod7.

What other powders/bullets and COL have you tried? A lot of different bullets and several different powders.

FWIW my 243 auto likes the 75 vmax loaded out slightly into the lands. When seated shorter, accuracy falls off badly.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARFWIW my 243 auto likes the 75 vmax loaded out slightly into the lands. When seated shorter, accuracy falls off badly.

What's the OAL that your shooting?

My measurement won't matter on your barrel, as the distance to the lands will be different. There's several methods to check that distance, a quick search here or on you tube should tell you what you need to know. Also know that seating them like I am will raise pressures.

It took me a while to get a load for my 243. I tried all the Hornady bullets and like the OP said, they were OK but a little inconsistent. I finally found a load with a Nosler BT 80 grain and IMR- 4350 that made me say wow. It's not as bad on fur as I thought it would be.

I shoot the 75 vmax with imr 4007ssc. My load is 45.0 gr powder, Winchester brass, cci 250 primer, 2.600" oal. Yes that is jumping to the rifling but I have consistent velocities and shoots very tight groups. (.185 is my best out of a r25) . Probably should work up to that load as usual.

CaliforniaPiplinr,

The distance to the lands needs to be measured for your specific rifle. Here is what you can do. Seat a bullet in a case long. So long that when you try to close the bolt on the round you cannot. The bullet is engaged with the rifling and at this point is too long for your chamber. Now in very small increments seat the bullet further into the case and after each one see if your bolt will close. Keep doing this procedure until you can close your bolt with some slight resistance. At this point, your bullet is engaged with the rifling. Take a COL measurement of this length and make note of it. Now, try seating your bullet .010 to .020 shorter than this distance. This should give you a good place to start. Seating close to the rifling increases pressure compared to the same load seated further from the rifling, so start low and work up as usual.

Sometimes when doing this you find that the loaded round won't fit your magazine. If that is the case just seat so the round functions in the magazine and get to work working up a load. I doubt this will be the case with the 75 v-max, but you never know. Hope this helps.

I shot the 75 V-MAX out of mine initially with Reloader 15 powder. I want to say I had worked up to about 42.3 grains, but this was a HOT load. Accuracy was OK. I was seating them as long as possible, and using Fed210 primers.

Today I tried Speer 75gr HP's with Varget. Worked up to 40.0 at a short COL of just 2.590". 39.0 looked OK, fell apart again at 39.5, but was looking really good at 40! Saw this in a post earlier on this forum and thought I would give it a try - glad I did. Definitely worth playing around with another couple of range sessions.

I didn't get a chance today because of the weather but worked up loads from 38.7 - 40.3 all at the same col. If I get the groups I want I'll make them longer. Thanks SD Coyote, sounds like a good way to do it.

I just loaded some 75gr Vmax for my new Howa 1500 and was on the lands at 2.635- 2.620 oal. So I ended up seating at 2.618 with only 36.5 grs. Varget to start. It's hard to find data for this bullet/ powder combo that's why I'm posting.

Last edited:
If you can not get the 75 v max to shoot, the Sierra 75g hp is one heck of an accurate bullet.

Max loads of imr 4350(win primer), and imr 4064 (fed 210 primer) is the way to go.

OAL will be close to the lands for best accuracy.

Originally Posted By: ackleyman
"If you can not get the 75 v max to shoot, the Sierra 75g hp is one heck of an accurate bullet."

But the 75gr Sierra HP has the BC of a ping pong ball.
cry.gif

Back